[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - "I Pie" 1st aired 3-3-04

"I Pie" 1st aired 3-3-04

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

Whats the verdict?

Classic
29%
Good
46%
It was missing something
17%
Bad
9%

Total votes : 35

"I Pie" 1st aired 3-3-04

Postby mojopox » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:09 pm

Alton goes through making a pie crust, merangue (sp), and lemon custard for a lemon merangue pie.
Last edited by mojopox on Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby mojopox » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:16 pm

correct me if im wrong, but what exactly is the point of I, pie? didn't we learn to do pie crust in the crust never sleeps? didn't we learn merangue (sp) in one of the egg shows. didn't he cover making a custard in the egg files? if this episode was the slightest bit funny i would be ok with it. if i had to eat pie, it would be lemon pie. i wanted to like it so much but i couldn't help but thinking, "ab's covered everything in here before, are we just doing specific recipe's now?"--dave
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Meriadoc » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:07 am

and to make matters worse, FN followed up this episode tonight with an 11:30 showing of Crust Never Sleeps!

I agree, though... there's not a whole lot different in the crust construction (well... there was the lard...; and he did use a pie plate this time, and showed blind baking).

and we didn't even get the Tender and Flaky puppets!!!

(btw, i figured, based on FN promos, that the subject of "pie making" had been suggested to AB. who knows...?)
Meriadoc
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby charles » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:30 am

Since I generally despise pie (sorry Susan) and very specifically hate lemon meringue, I approched this episode in the "entertain me" fashion. I thought it was hilarious. Fun and light hearted. I thought it was a classic fun and lighthearted

I would kill to have the pie slice futon prop. I think AB ought to auction that prop off on his web site and donate the money to charity. Considering some of his rabid fan base, I bet he could get a decent price for it.
Officer Of Covert Operations, in charge of all things dark and sneaky!

"successful businesses are the cause of every social ill in society, not personal responsibility".
charles
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Tymoria » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:42 am

The pie show wasn't horrible, but definitely could have used a couple of different pie recipies. Maybe he couldn't do justice to two or three pie fillings in the 30 minutes.
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Cheryl » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:43 am

I liked it...

Liked the big lemon meringue pie model...very cool. Liked the opening intro.....I think it was the same lines that open "Crust Never Sleeps", right?
Loved that.
Cheryl

Postby geimerst » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:14 am

:?
Last edited by geimerst on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geimerst

Postby BuddyHolly » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:33 am

Thanks mojo! I got stuck at work last night and couldn't post!

I liked the episode. Pie crust is a tough thing for me. I did feel like it was more entertaining than informative, since pie had been covered before. All in all it was well done and worth watching. :D
BuddyHolly
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby eye4got » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:57 am

Hmmmm. IMHO:

We saw some new science/techniques.

No guests - wait a minute, all those people in the diner were guests. And a couple of them looked familiar... :|

But no food scientists, nutritional anthropologists, dieticians, gadget gurus, mad french chefs, neighbors, interns, relatives, hound dogs or obsessive fans

A few jokes (mostly in the diner)

Few props (the pie chair and the "bubble")

No puppets, critters, animals, etc... (the mosquitos in the lemon grove don't count)

While there's more here than my first impression led me to believe, at the same time I got the feeling that ABs heart wasn't really in this episode. He didn't seem to be having fun the way he usually does.

Final rating: Not bad, but certainly not destined to be a classic.
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby kpfleming » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:03 pm

OK, what's the deal with calling that filling a "custard"? I always thought the definition of custard was an egg & dairy combo, but maybe I'm off base (wouldn't be the first time).

I would not make this recipe as it was shown, but with a decent lemon curd (yes, it's full of fat) it would be good.
kpfleming
Lieutenant Briner

Postby Butterbean » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:39 pm

I thought it was an excellent show. When I do make pies, they're often meringue pies (key lime). My great aunt made fantastic lemon meringue & I've never been able to duplicate it (until NOW - bwahaha). I liked his new take on piecrust, too. I've been using white beans for blind-baking crust (same beans for years), and I thought AB's idea that black beans absorb heat faster was pure genius. :idea:

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Kama » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:12 pm

Strangely enough, I dreamt that I made this pie last night. Not enough lemon was my sub-concious verdict.
Kama
Director of Children's Services and Handwashing Education
GEFP's Official "Sour Grape"
Kama
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:37 pm

Missed it! Fell asleep and woke up about 20 minutes after it was over. I was not amused :x I assume it will air again sometime this week?

[quote=butterbean]When I do make pies, they're often meringue pies (key lime). [/quote]
Hey, when I tried a key lime pie it turned out fine except for the color. It came out the kind of grey color of the evaporated milk. What up with that?
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Kama » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:02 pm

okbye wrote:Missed it! Fell asleep and woke up about 20 minutes after it was over. I was not amused :x I assume it will air again sometime this week?

[quote=butterbean]When I do make pies, they're often meringue pies (key lime).

Hey, when I tried a key lime pie it turned out fine except for the color. It came out the kind of grey color of the evaporated milk. What up with that?[/quote]

Odd, I usually have a very pale yellow tint from the egg yolks when I don't use food coloring. :oops: :oops: I know - food coloring is for FAKE key lime pies, but I have a three year old who like colorful food - I've even been known to color the mashed potatoes to amuse him. :D
Kama
Kama
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Becca » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:16 pm

Last edited by Becca on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Becca

Postby carla » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:58 pm

okbye wrote:Missed it! Fell asleep and woke up about 20 minutes after it was over. I was not amused :x

D a m n 3 times! I fell asleep about halfway through and woke up 2 hours later.
Time for a "sleep through GEFP"? :shock:
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Papacooks » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:33 am

Given that lemon meringue pie is tied with chocolate pie as my all time favorite, what's not to love? It seems better than the one that showed on America's Test Kitchen. They don't have his sense of humor. As far as repeating various techniqus from other episodes, one can't assume that the viewers have seen the other episodes, and it could be a problem to leave out the how to make a pie crust.
Papacooks

Cuisine! It is when things taste like themselves
Curnonsky (1872-1956)
Noted food writer and gastronome
Papacooks
Commander Briner

I made it!

Postby jenjen » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:21 am

I made the pie today and it was near perfect, except I couldn't wait til it cooled completely and the lemon filling oozed all over the place.

I can't believe no one mentioned it - but I believe his technique for rolling the pie crust in the ziploc bag was genius! Absolutely the first perfect pie crust I've ever made. I'm always guilty of overworking my crust.

I've still got half a pie. ... for now!

My neighbor came over to share a piece & she declared it heavenly.

Jen
jenjen
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Re: I made it!

Postby Jstkiddn » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:45 am

jenjen wrote:I can't believe no one mentioned it - but I believe his technique for rolling the pie crust in the ziploc bag was genius! Absolutely the first perfect pie crust I've ever made. I'm always guilty of overworking my crust.

Since I'm a newbie around these parts I just assumed that this technique was something all you guys had been doing for years. I had never seen it before and I thought it was a great idea! I can't wait to try it out. I also liked how he used the two pie pans to get the crust into the pan. I always wind up tearing mine.
Jstkiddn
Senior Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby Tymoria » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:11 am

Also there was no flavoring in the water for the pie dough. Do you think he thought it would be too much lemon?
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

All that work....

Postby CaptDad » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:39 am

UUUUMMMMM....while watching the Pie show, we said out load 'WE NEED PIE !!", The next day we went to the nearest buffet that has a huge desert pie section...and had Pie!!
CaptDad

Postby bnsdad » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:04 pm

I have to agree with Mojo, what was the point? While not a rerun, it was a remade repeat of crust never sleeps.

Nothing was new. Nothing was funny. He could have skipped the crust and went straight into the Lemon merinque and maybe a few other pie filllings.

Crust never sleeps had the flaky and tender puppets. Not some lame oversized piece of pie.

Maybe the new writer wrote this episode.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and require the same from them.
J.B. Books (John Wayne) "The Shootist"
bnsdad
Rear Admiral (upper half) Briner

Postby scooter » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:32 am

I have a HUGE fear of balloons...(I know, I know!), so I didn't enjoy THAT part of the show AT ALL! :evil:

You too Scooter? I thought i was the only. I didn't mind that part of the show. I cover my ears and wince.
"Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!"
scooter
Captain Briner

Postby enkorat » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:13 pm

Did anyone else notice that during the episode AB exclusively uses table salt, and never gives a reason?

Does anyone else know why this might be?
enkorat

Postby poltroon » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:33 pm

I was never quite motivated to try the crust from the first show, but I did make the crust this time with this pie.

The pie came out pretty good. And the merangue looked great - when it came out of the oven. But when the pie cooled, it sagged. On the second pie, I beat it less and still it behaved the same. It did stick to the lemon and it was tasty, though.

I don't know if I'm cutting into them too soon, but the filling was a little saggy.
poltroon
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby mojopox » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:23 pm

i try to keep the newest episode as a sticky untill another new episode airs. this one has been up long enough so down it goes.--dave
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kama » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:44 am

And now it rises back up again :) - it's showing tonight, so if you missed it the first time around . . .
Kama
Kama
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Wiggy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:01 pm

I've made this pie several times. The first time it was perfect. Every time since, including today, I get soup to some degree. What is wrong? I continued cooking the corn starch and sugar for 60 seconds after it came to a boil, I cooked the egg yolks after adding them to deactivate the enzyme, I added the marang while the filling was hot. What happens?
Wiggy

Postby dgfoxstar » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:25 pm

one of my fav eps
psn username dgfoxstar add me
dgfoxstar

Return to Show Specific Discussions