[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Urban Preservation I

Urban Preservation I

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

How would you rank Urban Preservation I?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Sticky, gooey and oh so fun to watch
38%
Great information, but it was missing something
No votes
Great topic, but it's not something I'd try
25%
MMMM Jam!
38%

Total votes : 8

Urban Preservation I

Postby BuddyHolly » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:13 pm

I love any episode where Alton chooses a food that most people have never made or has fallen out of fashion. I just don't know too many people who have canned their own jelly/jam and it's refreshing to see the topic handled so well.
BuddyHolly
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby Jstkiddn » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:38 pm

I loved the show! And for me it couldn't have been more timely as we recently moved about 40 mature blueberry plants from my mother's old house here to my house, so I will definately be trying out my hand at jam making this summer.
Jstkiddn
Senior Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby okbye » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:58 pm

I enjoyed the show but the only jelly I will eat is Welch's grape. I love it and thats all I need. :D
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Tymoria » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:15 pm

I'd love to give peach jam a whirl. Making preserves looks a little more complex.

Who loved saying "discahrd?" I remember someone saying that became a buzz word for them and their SO.
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby poltroon » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:05 am

This is my first summer on our farm, and now I have lots of fruit trees. My grandmother made jam when she had just two trees - with hundreds, it was a moral imperative.

I had peaches and blackberries as my first crop, so I couldn't use the recipe, but I dug out the transcript (thanks Mikemenn!) and did use the various hardware recommendations and advice. And he was right: once I had the sterilization procedure in my head, it was really easy to make jam. Incredibly easy.

I made a blackberry jam and a peach jam, both using "No Sugar Necessary" pectin, with just 1 c of sugar each. I also added some cinnamon. Yum yum yum yum yum!
poltroon
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby jtcweb » Sat May 14, 2005 10:35 pm

Does anyone know if community cannerys still operate either here in the US or other countries? I tried googleing the one that he starts the show in (douglas county community cannery) and didn't really find anything.
jtcweb

Postby jtcweb » Sun May 15, 2005 9:55 pm

I live in S.E. Michigan about 25 miles west of Detroit, so I dont expect there to be one near me. However it is a subject I would like to read about.
jtcweb

Dawson county cannery

Postby randy525 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:18 am

The cannery is in Dawsonville Ga. it will be torn down soon. All of the equipment was in the parking lot and a lot of grading was being done around the building for a new school. I'm a deputy in Dawson county and I grew up here. When I was in high school we would go to the cannery in Ag. class. I will take a picture of the building next week if it's not gone.
randy525

Postby jackiecat » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi Randy,
welcome to the board. I know this seems like the perfect place for your post, but if you post in the General Chat you'll get a better response. To bad about the cannery. We lose so much that is local.
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to Show Specific Discussions