[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Flat is Beautiful First Aired 01/10/01

Flat is Beautiful First Aired 01/10/01

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

Is Flat Beautiful?

It's A-peel-ing
85%
Aw it's cute.
12%
Give it the Hook!
3%

Total votes : 34

Flat is Beautiful First Aired 01/10/01

Postby Tymoria » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:25 am

The savory pie that dreams are made of. Okay maybe not AB takes on pizza - complete with the Mad French Chef, burping sock puppets and Ken and Barbie.
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kamidanshir » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:22 am

One of the all-time best shows, in my opinion. It's also one of the few GE recipes that I use, unaltered, on a regular basis.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby BuddyHolly » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:15 am

I watched the ep of Tyler's Unlimate after AB. It killed me that he kept calling the peel a paddle.

If it's not made to steer a canoe, it's not a paddle!

Arggghhh!
BuddyHolly
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby Tymoria » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:58 am

I've seen both Flat is Beautiful and Tyler's Ulitmate pizza before. When AB says we should dust the peel to make sure that the pizza doesn't stick, I couldn't help saying, "As Tyler Florence will soon find out."
Scabbard of Lunacy

Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Cheryl » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:33 pm

I love this episode...though I haven't gone to that much trouble making a pizza.
Cheryl

Postby stixx23 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:21 pm

I've made the pizza several times and LOVE it. It's even more of a labor of love for me because at the moment, I don't have a stand mixer.
G.E.S. Chickeny Hands Classic Movie Archivist and Master of Minutiae.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

http://blog.ofrg.org/
stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby poltroon » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:45 pm

I had been making pizza before this episode, but watching him do it made me finally realize that my dough was too stiff because I was adding too much flour, and THAT was why I could never get it to stretch nicely. Now I routinely make pizza from memory once a week. Downside: can't stand takeout pizza any more.
poltroon

Postby Tymoria » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:50 am

Well that's a positive downside. Welcome Poltroon. Do you toss or board stretch
Scabbard of Lunacy

Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby poltroon » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:08 pm

I'm afraid to toss. :lol: I kind of stretch it up in the air on my knuckles, though.

My daughter (3 1/2) LOVES to help make pizza. She also loves helping to eat the pizza. I usually make it with the three cheeses, garlic, and fresh basil... mmmmmm. Oh, I also use whole wheat flour and honey for the crust, per a recipe that came with the pizza stone that was given to me as a gift.

What's odd is I now think of pizza as one of my "quick" recipes - something to do when I don't have much time.

Oh, another secret: I make sure the next day to take out the stone and brush off any cornmeal into the trash so it doesn't burn. I do keep the stone in full time, though. It takes longer to preheat, but I was convinced that it keeps the oven at a uniform temp better and is worth it.
poltroon

Postby Tymoria » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:45 am

Flat night tonight, but in a good way.

I wish i had space in my kitchen. Oh and a kitchen aid would be nice.
Scabbard of Lunacy

Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby mhalbrook » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:43 am

I got room for a KitchenAid, I just don't have the cash for one.
mhalbrook
Vice Admiral Briner

pizza stone

Postby Slim » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:37 am

Hey all, just a question about the quarry tiles AB uses in this episode.

I am looking in to get a few of these, but an "unglazed quarry tile" is a bit vague. Anybody else use one of these, if so what kind of tile, limestone, terra cotta, etc?

-slim
Slim

Re: pizza stone

Postby CXI » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:43 pm

Slim wrote:Hey all, just a question about the quarry tiles AB uses in this episode.

I am looking in to get a few of these, but an "unglazed quarry tile" is a bit vague. Anybody else use one of these, if so what kind of tile, limestone, terra cotta, etc?

Here's a post I just made in the general forum. The tiles were indeed called "unglazed quarry tile" right on the box. Note that using a few smaller tiles is different from the one large one AB seems to have dug up. I couldn't find one that big. Even as it was, I had to go to a tile specialty shop to get these. Everything Home Depot and Lowe's had was glazed.

viewtopic.php?p=113394#113394
CXI

Question about the Pizza Formula

Postby joebot » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:21 pm

Ok, first of all ... Hello and hope you all had wonderful holiday ! :) ........ Now my question concerning the pizza , what type of yeast do you use ?? is it marked fast rise on the pkg. or ?? also it seems that the dough would just fight me when trying to stretch it out :? any tips or help would be greatly appreciated !!

JB
joebot
Chief Petty Officer Briner

Re: Question about the Pizza Formula

Postby Misch » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:09 pm

joebot wrote:Ok, first of all ... Hello and hope you all had wonderful holiday ! :) ........ Now my question concerning the pizza , what type of yeast do you use ?? is it marked fast rise on the pkg. or ?? also it seems that the dough would just fight me when trying to stretch it out :? any tips or help would be greatly appreciated !!

JB

The yeast I used was "saf" brand instant yeast. Cooks Illustrated (a recent issue, can't remember which one) says that yeasts marked "For bread machines" are pretty much the same thing as instant yeast.

(Oh, first time poster.)
Misch
Seaman Recruit Briner

Re: Question about the Pizza Formula

Postby Sifu » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:10 pm

The yeast I used was "saf" brand instant yeast. Cooks Illustrated (a recent issue, can't remember which one) says that yeasts marked "For bread machines" are pretty much the same thing as instant yeast.

(Oh, first time poster.)

Welcome...

By the way:
Fleischmann’s RapidRise™ Yeast: This is Fleischmann’s highly active instant dry yeast.

I know AB said not to use RapidRise, but according to Fleischmann, it is just instant dry yeast (I even wrote and asked). The bread machine yeast is the same as the RapidRise, except in a different container easier to scoop. But they charge you for the packaging!!! The SAF brand is so much less expensive you would not believe it. I can't find the SAF Instant near me, only the Active Dry at Costco :cry:
Sifu
Ensign Briner

Postby orennoah » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:45 am

Food Network had just come to the San Francisco area when I tuned it and stumbled accross GE, AB this show.

I was hooked. Instant Briner time, even though it would be a long time before Romancing the Bird would be shown.
- Oren

An unused Dutch Oven is bad for the soul.
orennoah

Postby webdev511 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:28 am

Made this lastnight. I also used "active dry yeast" but with no problems at all. The first pie was awsome except there was a sticking issue. I still don't have a stone, so I was kind of waiting for it to happen.

The second pie wasn't as good. I had tearing issues that were probably due to leaving the ball out and un streched for too long.

Our kitchen aid stand mixer was a wedding gift from my folks, albeit without flames. :( Of course once you get one you'll wonder how you lived without it.

Afiter I finally get a stone for the bottom of our Wolf, things should be much better.
webdev511

Postby webdev511 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:44 am

Found it!

Okay it's not perfect, but at $3.50, the 16"x16"x2" paver fits perfectly in the bottom of the oven.

I'm making dough tonight for pizza tomorrow evening. Hmm, gonna have to make some sauce too. Well, darn the luck.
webdev511

Postby stixx23 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:00 am

webdev511 wrote:Found it!

Okay it's not perfect, but at $3.50, the 16"x16"x2" paver fits perfectly in the bottom of the oven.

I'm making dough tonight for pizza tomorrow evening. Hmm, gonna have to make some sauce too. Well, darn the luck.

two inches thick? man, your oven is going to take an hour to heat up. Of course you will then have the luxury of being able to bake the rest of the day with the oven off. :wink:
G.E.S. Chickeny Hands Classic Movie Archivist and Master of Minutiae.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

http://blog.ofrg.org/
stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

my answers to pizza questions

Postby Xtine » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:22 am

1. I got unglazed quarry tiles at Home Depot. They were not labeled "unglazed" but you could tell by comparing them to the ones that were shiny and clearly glazed. Bought one batch a while ago, they were smaller and thinner and ending up breaking--they were on the lower rack of my gas oven (I keep them there 24/7) but I don't think that was the reason, they were just too thin. Went back about a year later and found bigger (6 x 6), thicker ones and now keep them on the floor of the oven. It takes nine of them. They are wearing well.
2. use instant yeast, got it at a local restaurant supply store, but they have it at king arthur's website. keep it in freezer.
3. stretch my dough on the reverse of a metal bowl, it works great. Gravity keeps it from shrinking back but you still need to let it rest.

My one modification is that for whatever reason, maybe it's cause my tiles on the floor of the oven, the bottom of the crust can burn before I feel the rest is cooked. So I monitor it carefully, and finish baking by sliding onto top rack of my oven. It's gas so there's no direct heat up there. It browns the top, and gives a little more cooking time to the interior of the crust while minimizing burn potential on the bottom.
Xtine

Postby Viridian » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:55 am

I really really liked this episode except for one thing...he said he'd tell us how to make pizza on the fly...and then doesn't tell us. Maybe he'll revisit the topic in another show.
Viridian
Seaman Apprentice Briner

Postby Supercoolbasket » Thu May 25, 2006 10:54 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I just had a question. Can someone tell me a website where I can find Saf Instant Yeast at a good price with good shipping charges. I tried that King Arthur site, but the shipping was a little steep IMO.

Thanks.
Supercoolbasket

Basis

Postby Pedro20 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:37 pm

orennoah wrote:Food Network had just come to the San Francisco area when I tuned it and stumbled accross GE, AB this show.

"tuned" is the basis to everything we know about this subject.
Pedro20

Re: Basis

Postby sadiedog » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:48 pm

Pedro20 wrote:
orennoah wrote:Food Network had just come to the San Francisco area when I tuned it and stumbled accross GE, AB this show.

"tuned" is the basis to everything we know about this subject.

Again...I have to say.... :?: :!:

:roll:

Tsk, tsk. Takes a lot more effort to spam now, huh? :twisted:
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby rotten » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:20 pm

I make this one quite often, (favorite topping on it is artichoke hearts in oil) I do all the mixing and kneeding by hand as this recipe trys to rip my poor little stand mixer apart.
Unleaded tastes a little tangy, supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good. - Ricky, Trailer Park Boys
rotten
Ensign Briner

Postby vickatina » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:41 pm

I make my pizza crust by hand as well. In fact, I tried to teach my 8 year old daughter how to "throw" the dough. Instead of tossing it up, she tossed it outwards...to me. :wink:

What's really funny is that her crust came out chewy and nicer than mine...mine was kind of crispy.

Kids...go figure!
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby Badmojo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:42 pm

I'm new here so forgive me if it's bad form to make new posts in older threads...

Just posted a question on the general chat forum asking how many caught the reference to his peel being named "Emma"? For the record, I didn't get it, and had to look it up.

Now - on to the topic at hand...

I have been using Alton's instructions with a few modifications based on things I picked up elsewhere...

1. When you've mixed in about half of the flour you're going to use total (the dough looks more like a batter at this point) turn off the mixer and let it sit at least 20 minutes. This will really help with the 'window pane' gluten formation later.

2. It's really, really hard to hand kneed and get a good window pane. Count on 45 minutes at least of aggressive kneeding with rest periods. (For the dough and your poor hands). Add flour very slowly - it's like eggs; if they look done in the pan you've gone too far - same with flour. Very, very easy to get too dry.

3. I use Active Dry yeast because I couldn't find instant. Works just fine. Alton makes a point to say that you don't need to 'bloom' the yeast - and that's true - but he DOES add sugar - which is totally unnecessary. There are plenty of sugars in the flour for the yeast to eat. If you're adding sugar or honey because YOU like the flavor, that's fine - but if you're doing it to 'feed' the yeast - skip it.

4. Unglazed quary tiles. I could not find one the size of Alton's at Lowe's, but they had smaller ones for .77 each. I can fit 3 across and 2 deep (6 total) and it covers the bottom of my oven perfectly. They were clearly labeled "unglazed". I would be wary of anything that wasn't. I bought a box (I think there are 14 in the box) so I can replace them if needed.

5. Oven temp - My oven tops out at 500. That's too low for great pizza. If you do a bit of Googling you'll find a guy that makes very impressive pizza buy cooking his on the oven's self-clean function. He cut off the locking latch mechanism. I'd love to do this, but my wife hath forbade it. Like a previous poster, I've had issues where the bottom gets too burnt before the top is browned. Best workaround I've found is to pre-heat to 500. With the tiles, it takes awhile. Then, as soon as you put the pizza in, turn off the oven and turn the broiler on high. It takes about 5 minutes.
Badmojo
Seaman Recruit Briner

Postby jackiecat » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:52 pm

Nice post Badmojo! However to get more views and responses I suggest you post to General Chat. I don't know why that's true. It just is.
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby hoovarmin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:46 pm

[quote="Badmojo"]

Add flour very slowly - it's like eggs; if they look done in the pan you've gone too far - same with flour. Very, very easy to get too dry.

Dear Badmojo,

Thanks for a great set of tips. To date, the bakers window has eluded me - but I'm trying again now to see if I can pull it off using the wisdom you shared. Regarding the amount of flour - what should it look/feel like when I've added enough?

Thanks
hoovarmin
hoovarmin
Seaman Recruit Briner

Next

Return to Show Specific Discussions