[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - A Chuck for Chuck First Aired 6/27/01

A Chuck for Chuck First Aired 6/27/01

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

A Chuck for Chuck First Aired 6/27/01

Postby Tymoria » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:25 am

This was one of the reasons that I got turned on to Good Eats. I learned how to make roast, I learned about Aluminun (didn't learn how to spell it - not that it's spelled wrong) and I laugh out loud.

Anyone try it without the foil?
Last edited by Tymoria on Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:32 am

Chuck is a doll. I'd teach him what to do with a hunk of meat any day. :wink:
I havent tried the recipe yet but I would like to. I usually crock pot my large chunks of meat but AB's looks really good. Next time Fry's has a killer sale on roasts I'm gonna try it.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby NYJetsfan » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:26 am

I love this recipe and so does my daughter.

My wife hates it since she adheres to the boil it until it's done method.

I dread St. Patrick's Day in my house.

This is something I plan on making when I have the house to myself next week.

Greg
Wait an hour for it to do its voodoo
NYJetsfan
Ensign Briner

Postby Myrealana » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:29 am

I'd say it works pretty well. I don't often have the raisins, but it turns out pretty good regardless.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Kama » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:18 pm

"Chuck" is tonight's featured 7 p.m. episode.

Personally, I hate olives and my husband hates raisins, so we haven't actually tried this recipe. However, the episode itself is wonderfully done and I was glad to finally learn WHY it is called a "seven-bone roast" when I could only ever find one bone in it. :D :shock:
Kama
Director of Children's Services and Handwashing Education
GEFP's Official "Sour Grape"
Kama
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Tymoria » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:04 am

So I made the chuck roast last night. It was interesting. Next time I will do this on a day off. Still was a little rare for me, but not bad.

Instead of tomato juce the flavorful liquid was white wine, and the olives and raisins were not invited to the party.

But man oh MAN was it good :)
Scabbard of Lunacy

Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby bursell » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:17 pm

Danita wrote:So I made the chuck roast last night. It was interesting. Next time I will do this on a day off. Still was a little rare for me, but not bad.

How do you cook something for 4 hours and have it come out rare?
bursell
Ensign Briner

Postby Tymoria » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:39 pm

Well maybe not rare, medium rare is more like it.

I'm just lucky I guess.
Scabbard of Lunacy

Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby GARCON » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:00 pm

Have made this twice...was great both time.... have some really strong greek olives that i have been using.. cut back on them a little bit the second time i made it and increased the amount of tomato juice as well as adding some beef stock before reducing the sauce... very very good. My only complaint is the meat is pretty tender..but not "fork tender" my oven is "spot on" i think... have used a thermometer and it is exactly at the same temp as the oven settting... have even cooked it slightly longer..still haven't gotten it to fork tender yet..that is my only gripe as it is really good.. my favorite alton brown recipe so far? how have others fared with this? anyone get it to the fork tender phase ?? is so how long did you cook it. let me know

Gary
GARCON

Postby Tymoria » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:34 am

I'll give it another go and cook it longer. It tasted wonderful.
Scabbard of Lunacy

Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby waldomommy » Fri May 12, 2006 8:42 pm

Tried this recipe. It was yummy, but I found that the balsalmic vinegar brought a bit too much tang. It really mellowed out by the second night when we had the leftovers. Overall it was pretty good, but I think I'll reduce the vinegar by just a little the next time I make it.

Here's a question, so many times we hear AB say not to use aluminum foil with tomatoes because it's reactive (like in Fit to be Tied). But here, is there some difference bc it's tomato juice instead of raw tomatoes or canned ones? I couldn't really see how they were different...btw I used a can of V8 instead of plain tomato juice bc I happened to have that on hand and no tomato juice.

Also, do you think that you always have to use foil? I have a perfectly nice Le Cruset cast-iron dutch oven, and he did start out by asking Chuck if he had a "dutch oven," but how (if at all) would you suppose the science behind it and therefore the taste will change?

Still scratching me head over the tin foil and the tomatoes, though...
waldomommy

Postby Jorge » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:18 am

My pot roast was delicious but definitely undercooked. Any suggestions on oven temp/cooking time. It looks like others have had similar results...
Jorge

Fork Tender Tin Foil

Postby Morgoroth » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:37 am

I have the DVD of this episode and somewhere on it he talks about the tin foil thing. I think it is on the QandA he does for each episode. Anway, he says something like since we are not useing two different metals it would not be as bad. He explained that with tomatoes in a cast iron pand and tin foil on the outside it made a crude battery and that is what really sped up the process that broke down the aluminium.
Or, maybe that was just a really weird dream I had.

I do think that you could use a dutch oven to cook it because I have seen so many other recipies that braised things in a dutch oven (and that is what we are really doing here) but I think you would have to have a tight-fitting lid. I have not tried it though I do plan to.

I am curious about the fork tender part.
I have cooked this twice and not quite gotten to fork tender yet.
I got close the first time and that was with a much smaller roast (1 to 1.5 pounds I think).

The trick must be the time and the low heat, which I have not quite been able to replicate to my satisfaction yet. (The first time I made it the oven was acting up and the second I had to shorten the cooking time with a higher heat because I ran out of time.)

I think longer is better though and even though it is a different episode the poaching concept seems to spring to mind here.
In mission poachable AB said that you could poach somthing all day if you could maintain the right temperature, because the temp you cook at is so close to the final temp you want the food to be.

What I really want to know is if you could put it in a crock pot.
I don't have 4 to 5 hours after I get home to wait for dinner and it would be a lot easier if I could put it in a crock pot all day.
Morgoroth
Third Class Petty Officer Briner

Postby Morgoroth » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:22 pm

I finally got it done fork tender.
I put it in the crock pot on warm from Saturday evening to Sunday lunch and it was perfect.

So that would be what? 18hours or so. It was a lot simpler to use the crock pot. I also checked the temp of the top of the meat with my infared temp gun and it stayed around 150 for warm and just under 200 for low. Of course that also depends on time because it takes a while to heat everything up.

Oh, and no tinfoil was needed for the crock pot.
Peter: Lois, it is called "the poop deck", that is why I pooped there.
Ship Officer: You're disgusting.
Peter: And you're misleading.
Morgoroth
Third Class Petty Officer Briner

Return to Show Specific Discussions