[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - "A pie in every pocket" Q

"A pie in every pocket" Q

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

"A pie in every pocket" Q

Postby kahki820 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:15 am

The only thing I've really ever had to complain about the show is this:
He prounouced Pasty wrong, or at least differently than I've always heard it. I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, full of miners, so Pasties are as common as the deer. It's always been pronounced with a short A. He said it with a long A. as in the things strippers wear on top.
Is this just a "he was unfamiliar with the word" type misstep, or do they pronounce it like that in the South?
I'm surprised that with as many experts he has on staff that this kind of thing slipped through.
So is it a mispronounciation or a regional thing?
kahki820

Postby ABwannabe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:57 am

I presume that it's a regional thing.

Curiosity question: how do you pronounce pastry (as in pie)? Given his pronunciation, I figured it was related to "pastry" and so pronounced similarly.

Welcome aboard! Pull up a chair and say a while. After you've looked around a bit (if you haven't already), fill out the inquisition. I'm too lazy to find the link - it's one of the threads in the "Welcome to the GEFP!" forum.
ABwannabe
Vice Admiral Briner

pastry

Postby kahki820 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Pastry we pronounce with a long A.
I know I proposed the regional theory, but I've since remembered something that may contradict it: I toured in Northern California through old mining areas and the tour guide there started to describe this mythical food "the pasty." At which point my mom and aunt and I all chuckled and explained that we were from other mining areas and are quite aware of said food. She pronounced pasty the same as we do.
As common as they are in the UP (upper peninsula) and with no change in pronounciation throughout the area, I've always assumed that's how it was pronounced in England where it's from.
kahki820

Postby ABwannabe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:29 pm

Could be. The only times I've ever heard it pronounced were:
1. On the episode (and it's been so long I don't remember having heard it)
2. When describing what strippers wear ;-)

Looks like you're right.

Again, welcome aboard and don't be afraid to jump in.
ABwannabe
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby sadiedog » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:01 pm

Oh it's definitely with the short "a."

I grew up in lower Michigan, but have eaten a few pasties. Yeah, AB made me cringe a little, but he may have never been up to the U.P. to actually hear the word. ;)

Welcome.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Re: "A pie in every pocket" Q

Postby ebfoods » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:35 pm

Absolutely right on pronunciation! Strippers don't wear pasties! It's PAST - Tees not PASTE - tees.

Pasties are also not a stew in a crust. There is no sauce & in fact no gravy, the thing'd be way too messy to eat! As my mother and grandmother make / made them (in MIchigan's Upper Peninsula Copper Country in Houghton / Hancock by Lake Superior) the potatoes, carrots (& sometimes turnips) are cut a certain way so that they don't nick the crust from inside. Onions are sliced, not diced. The beef is cubed, not ground, and everything is layered a certain way into the crust with salt & pepper, then the edge is ROLLED not crimped -- talk about "Good Eats"; that roll of crust & a cup of tea. They're baked, never boiled or deep fried. And 2 to a pie plate, for those who need to use one to shape the things. (There are some that can indeed shape these freehand.) Sizes of course vary, but the basic concept is this.

Have never heard of mixing the meat etc in one end with something sweet in the other. Can't imagine how you would keep them at all separate, for one thing -- apple pie mixed with beef & onions? Not good . . . Probably was tried, can't imagine it worked well.

Pasties are a compact very hearty meal that needs no plate or fork to eat. They did indeed go down into the copper mines (in the Copper Country), in the miners' lunch pails, & did indeed hold warm for the morning. Churches have been built on pasty sales, & they're a preferred fund raiser anywhere in the area. They even show up on the Meals on Wheels menu up there!

Be fun for AB to join some of our pasty makers!
ebfoods
Seaman Apprentice Briner

Postby jackiecat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:08 pm

Hey ebfoods, are you still in Michigan? I'm in East Lansing.

And welcome to the board!
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:17 pm

They come from Britain and the British pronunciation is past-ee. AB pronounces a lot of things weirdly.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby vpars » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:07 am

Certainly should be a short a and I'm from the part of the UK where they were conceived. Anyone here heard of a Cornish Pastie and why they are different and why they were originall made that way? Hint they were from Cornwall when there were a lot of tin mines.
vpars

Postby ebfoods » Mon May 03, 2010 7:24 pm

No sorry to say, I'm based in Cleveland -- sorry cuz pasties are too few & far between around here!

But then every so many years I get back to the Copper Country where my folks live (both born & raised there) & SOP is a pasty!!!
ebfoods
Seaman Apprentice Briner

Return to Show Specific Discussions