[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Another Man Food Show - EA1311H 10.12.2009

Another Man Food Show - EA1311H 10.12.2009

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

Another Man Food Show - EA1311H 10.12.2009

Postby Brazos » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:54 am

Very interesting to use a waffle iron as a bacon cooker. I'll have to try that this weekend.
But I didn't believe it when it salted the eggs while cooking. I always thought that was a no-no.
And who was his side kick - Clarence? I wonder if that's Alton's personal trainer in real life.
You can tell Alton has lost weight. I think he said 50 lbs in the LA Times interview.
Brazos

Re: Another Man Food Show - EA1311H 10.12.2009

Postby ABwannabe » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Welcom, Brazos.

Even though you posted in the "correct" place, most discussions happen in the General Chat. This new episode is in This thread.
ABwannabe
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Steve » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:30 pm

Was anyone else disappointed with the the "Another Man Food Show"? I found it terribly weak, in premise, technically, and in the general quality of the information imparted.

I found the "intervention" McGuffin to be, on the whole, a bit cringe-worthy and embarrassing, particularly the references to "little man" by the orderly and the smug snideness just didn't seem appropriate.

The first person POV didn't really work for me. I didn't like it when he used it in the garlic show, either. It's just too limiting and it takes an absolute master to do it artfully. Alfred Hitchcock could do it but for all Alton Brown's skills and, yes, genius, he's no Alfred Hitchcock. The "Give Peas a Chance" show used it with the Stevie character but that was only in a handful of scenes, not the entire episode.

The "applications", as Mr Brown calls them (per his interview on NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday recently, http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113624708), were basically quickie rehashes of previous shows. While some repetition is okay (how many times do we have to hear "the wet stuff into the dry stuff"?) but this one just seemed as if it was dashed off in a real hurry just to fill a slot in the schedule.

In the NPR interview, Mr Brown suggests that he'll pull the plug on the show before it has a chance to "jump the shark".

I'm not sure if this the case yet, but I definitely spied the tip of a fin in the water, circling, while watching this one.

Oh, just in case you think I'm down on Alton Browns or on "Good Eats", I still think it's the best thing on Food Network by several orders of magnitude. In fact, it's rapidly becoming the only thing on the network (other than possibly "Iron Chef America") that doesn't completely suck or, at the very best, put me to sleep.

[Followup]

I saw this show again recently and "First Person" PoV somehow didn't bug me as much as it did the first time. I don't think it's going to be one of my favorites (the waffle iron bacon seems to be a bit absurd but I guess in a pinch, if you've gotta have bacon, it'd work. However, the bacon I buy renders a heck of a lot of fat, so I'd be afraid of it overflowing and either causing a huge mess or, worse, a fire).

Still not one of the best in the series but I'd probably watch it again when it reruns (unless Mythbusters has an episode I've not seen).
Last edited by Steve on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby Jikuu » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:12 pm

Steve wrote:Was anyone else disappointed with the the "Another Man Food Show"? I found it terribly weak, in premise, technically, and in the general quality of the information imparted.

I found the "intervention" McGuffin to be, on the whole, a bit cringe-worthy and embarrassing, particularly the references to "little man" by the orderly and the smug snideness just didn't seem appropriate.

The first person POV didn't really work for me. I didn't like it when he used it in the garlic show, either. It's just too limiting and it takes an absolute master to do it artfully. Alfred Hitchcock could do it but for all Alton Brown's skills and, yes, genius, he's no Alfred Hitchcock. The "Give Peas a Chance" show used it with the Stevie character but that was only in a handful of scenes, not the entire episode.

The "applications", as Mr Brown calls them (per his interview on NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday recently, http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113624708), were basically quickie rehashes of previous shows. While some repetition is okay (how many times do we have to hear "the wet stuff into the dry stuff"?) but this one just seemed as if it was dashed off in a real hurry just to fill a slot in the schedule.

In the NPR interview, Mr Brown suggests that he'll pull the plug on the show before it has a chance to "jump the shark".

I'm not sure if this the case yet, but I definitely spied the tip of a fin in the water, circling, while watching this one.

Oh, just in case you think I'm down on Alton Browns or on "Good Eats", I still think it's the best thing on Food Network by several orders of magnitude. In fact, it's rapidly becoming the only thing on the network (other than possibly "Iron Chef America") that doesn't completely suck or, at the very best, put me to sleep.

I agree with you on a lot of these. I didn't think this one was as fun as the original Man Food Show, and the first person POV makes me queasy. I offer one remark as a counter, though, and from the same NPR review. He stated that maybe it was about time he started repeating himself. I took this episode as him starting to repeat himself on applications that he's done before on early episodes and did not take offense there. If anything, he at least showed new twists to these previous applications, so there is some merit there to the more attentive viewers.
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. ~Leo Buscaglia
Jikuu
Senior Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby Ross » Wed May 05, 2010 11:30 am

well i have to say he does say somethings a little defferent like Greazzy but i also say Greazzy and greasy just depends how it comes out...and he says soyeeh sauce and AApricot some people say apricot i say Apricot i can see how some people may get annoyed with the way he says stuff but everyone is a little different
Ross

Return to Show Specific Discussions