[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - "Espress Yourself" mistake

"Espress Yourself" mistake

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

"Espress Yourself" mistake

Postby WWS » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:50 am

I'm a big coffee/espresso drinker and just watched the "Espress Yourself" episode. Overall very good. A.B. does, however, get things wrong in his discussion of frothing milk. He says not to use skim milk because it lacks the fat necessary to form a good foam. This is not at all correct. While it is true that for cold foams like whipped cream fat is your friend, the opposite is true for a hot foam. When steaming milk fat works against the formation of a good foam (it more or less melts). I would agree that whole milk tastes better (that's why I use it) but skim is the easiest to foam (conversely, cream is very difficult-nearly impossible to foam). BTW I know this to be true because I work in the restaurant industry in NYC and have made approximately 30-40 cappuccinos per week for the last eight years. No, I'm not a barista but I make better coffee/foam than our barista so most of my coworkers ask me to make their personal coffee drinks for them (6-8 per day) which I enjoy doing (so long as I have time).
Just one other observation for any of you out there who are thinking about attempting cappuccinos at home: A.B.'s foaming technique on the show leaves a bit to be desired-you should NEVER have any air bubbles as big as those that he shows while making the foam. Those big guys collapse in short order leaving you with very little real foam.
WWS

Return to Show Specific Discussions