[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - The Ballad of Salty and Sweet

The Ballad of Salty and Sweet

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

The Ballad of Salty and Sweet

Postby Steve » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:40 pm

I saw the new episode, "The Ballad of Salty and Sweet", last night and I'm beginning to get the feeling that after ten years, Good Eats may be about to jump the shark.

I found the show almost completely unengaging.

Maybe it's Alton Brown's "new look" that puts me off -- his gauntness reminds me of too many people I've seen who've lost a lot of weight quickly because of serious illness -- he looks unhealthy, almost anorexic. Perhaps I'm projecting but I have to wonder whether he actually enjoys food any longer, sort of a bad thing for a cooking show host.

There's also something which has become more abrasive in his on air demeanor over the past couple of years that's disturbing.

Opinions?
Steve
Chief Petty Officer Briner

Re: The Ballad of Salty and Sweet

Postby Scott_R » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Different perspective: I'm getting irritated by AB's shilling for salt. Quote from the show:
"Chefs... will simply insist that salt doesn't make things taste salty, it makes them taste good."

I've far more often been served food that was over- rather than undersalted.
Scott_R
Seaman Recruit Briner

Re: The Ballad of Salty and Sweet

Postby Kat » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:04 pm

His completely insane rig gadgetry has put me off from the show entirely. It's almost as if AB is trying to go out of his way to complicate a recipe to extreme levels. I can't remember the last time I even bothered to catch an episode.
Kat
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to Show Specific Discussions