[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - The Icing Man Cometh

The Icing Man Cometh

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

The Icing Man Cometh

Postby BuddyHolly » Tue May 25, 2004 10:15 am

Here's AB's take on buttercream icing. I thought it interesting that he said that most of the country refers to buttercream as icing. I've always heard it called frosting.

So, it is frosting or icing? Hmmmm . . .
BuddyHolly
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby Myrealana » Tue May 25, 2004 10:48 am

It's frosting. I wonder if it's regional?

Being on this No Sugar, carb-controlled diet, having AB do both the yellow cake and the buttercream frosting in one week was torture.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Tymoria » Fri May 28, 2004 12:34 am

I say frosting. Then again, I'm a "pop" kind of a girl.
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Fri May 28, 2004 3:04 am

I vote frosting too. Must be a Chicago thing.

I havent tried the buttercream cuz I am very very happy with my whipped cream frostings and it is very complicated and soooo many people have trouble with it. It just doesnt seem worth the effort.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby BuddyHolly » Fri May 28, 2004 11:16 am

Based on the limited survey response :wink: I believe my official findings are as follows:

Northerners call it frosting and Southerners call it icing. (AB and Lee casting the Southern votes)
BuddyHolly
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby eye4got » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm

Frosting or Icing?

I know lots of folks who use both. I use them interchangeably. Depends on what I feel like, I guess.
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby Cheryl » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:29 pm

eye4got wrote:Frosting or Icing?

I know lots of folks who use both. I use them interchangeably. Depends on what I feel like, I guess.
ditto for me, what he said..
Cheryl

Postby mhalbrook » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:11 am

Always called it Icing as well, of course the recipe that Alton did on the show isn't even close to the one I use, I use the one from Wilton.
mhalbrook
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Consacrer » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:13 pm

Frosting is smooth and creamy.

I call it icing if its thinly pipped on top of the frosting or if it looks kinda light and runny, like something you'd use to pour over or dip into instead of to spread with a knife.
Consacrer
Captain Briner

Postby aurik » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:37 pm

Has anyone actually tried this recipe with any success? I tried it the other day and got the eggs & sugar syrup set up... was looking good, and then after the 2nd or 3rd chunk of butter it's like all the air went right out of the mix and I was left with a (rather thin) liquid.
aurik

Postby okbye » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:37 pm

I think more than any other recipe this one has failed people. The general advice is to just move on and find a different recipe.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby vickatina » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:45 am

I'm from the North (NY and PA).

My mom has a small side business, decorating cakes since I was about 3.

We have never used the term frosting...we call it icing.

Buttercream Icing
Fluffy White Icing
Piping Icing

No matter what the type.

I haven't tried his recipe..I like the one I have (with no cooking involved).
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby dgfoxstar » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:21 pm

i thought frosting and icing werre the same
psn username dgfoxstar add me
dgfoxstar

Re: The Icing Man Cometh

Postby ATLHivemind » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:45 pm

I'm a northerner by birth, raised in SE Florida (the "north" part of the South) now living in the Atlanta suburbs (AB's backyard, woot!). I use "Frosting".

Speaking of. I got it into my head to make the yellow cake from the cake episode, buttercream icing and the gnashe.
The results:
cake: Too dry
icing: didn't set correctly
gnashe: too bitter

Here's what happened:
I watched the episode and captured the recipe. Then I looked online @ Foodtv's recipe comments (they to this point have been of some help) that suggested 20mins for 9" rounds wasn't long enough. (that was the "mob rule" consensus, anyway). They were right about AB's cheesecake needing 1.5 hours though... but that's the last time I check comments before following AB to the letter first.

There is a discontuinity in the amount of flour:
He says "350g" (and mouths 300g) then says 350g sugar and later states the amounts are the same ( 300 != 350). Someone tweaked... something. Anyway, I shot for 325 just to be safe. Anyone who's watched Dr Strangeloaf knows flour amounts are environmentally dependent...

Floured up my 9x3" rounds and spread the dough. VERY thick. Baked 30 minutes.
Results: Dead cake. Still eatable, but very dry. Will try 20.

Also, my "Macguyvered" (or is that "AB'ed") cooling rack left the cakes rather malformed (a mini-fridge shelf atop a half-sheet pan)

The icing, my fault:
used light corn syrup (all I have, not sure the difference).
boiled sugars, tempered into eggs using a tablespoon. no curdling or crystalization
Added in the butter, adding heat to the equation (I think that was why it failed)
Result: a non-setting goey glaze. Tasted good (added a few drops of peppermint), just unworkable.

The gnashe:
6 oz corn curup to 12oz "dark" chocolate" shame on AB to not being more specific. I had 60% cacao "bittersweet" that needed more sugar than that. Its a very rich gnashe that needs a tad more sweet, if the icing had more body it would be a great contrast.
ATLHivemind
Seaman Apprentice Briner

Postby okbye » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:55 pm

It's not you, those recipes both suck. AB is not a baker.

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby ATLHivemind » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:25 pm

Phew.
Good to know. That explains the temporal discrepancy in The Trouble with Cheesecake (cake really needs more time) (though the cake itself is Godlike).

On the upside, the chilled, semi-liquid "failed" mint buttercream icing turns into an awesome dessert when paired with Nilla wafers.
ATLHivemind
Seaman Apprentice Briner

Postby seraulu1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:34 am

Hi guys,

Yeah i agree that AB is not a baker!!!!!!!!!!and by the way thanks for the suggestion you give that's good help!!!!!!!!!!!! hypnosis download
seraulu1

Postby carla » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:16 pm

I do not bake.

But it seems AB's gnashe makes one gnash their teeth!
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Ross » Wed May 05, 2010 11:32 am

icing!.........well i guess i call it frosting also....idk soo maybe both...:)
Ross

Return to Show Specific Discussions