[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Steak Your Claim

Steak Your Claim

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

Steak Your Claim

Postby Tymoria » Mon May 31, 2004 3:51 am

And this is where it all began - Cast Iron, kosher salt oil and a good cut of meat

The exchange between Alton and the Ace Hardware Salesman is hilarious. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Mon May 31, 2004 4:33 am

This is the AB method I use the most. I never could cook a good steak with the broiler. My steaks are now perfect with the cast iron method, although I cook them longer than he does. AB-solutely great for a nice ribeye!
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Ogredude » Mon May 31, 2004 4:45 am

I'll have to try this method once my cast iron is cured again.

Currently, the main way we do steaks is on either the gas grill or on the charcoal BBQ. I've never had steak cooked this way, I'm interested in trying it.
www.FANDEMONIUM.org - A Convention For the Fans By the Fans
Sci-Fi / Anime / Fantasy / Gaming / Indie / Horror / Comics
Coming up in August 2005, better than before!
Ogredude
Ensign Briner

Postby eribac » Mon May 31, 2004 10:43 am

One of my favorite Good Eats episodes....

I do a modified version of AB's method. I have a large grill with cast iron grates, and half of it is a griddle. So I let my grill get very hot, throw the steaks on the griddle side for the 30 second sear on each side and then put the steaks on the coldest part of the grill and turn the grill off. I leave the steaks alone for about 8-10 minutes, then bring them inside to rest for another 10 minutes or so. They come out perfect everytime!

I have some bison steaks prepared for tonight!

--eric
eribac
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Briner

Postby Tymoria » Mon May 31, 2004 12:57 pm

Okbye are you in the group of people who think toast is a good thing? If so, how long do you cook it?
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:07 am

My smoke detectors can't be turned off. They're wired into the house electrical system, and there's no switch - at least none I can find. If one goes off, they all go off - and there's seven of them.

I tried this method once, and my husband and older son spent so much time trying to find the particular offeding alarm and blow the smoke away from it, they asked me to never cook a steak that way again.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby tessler » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:14 am

I just did this last night to prove to my husband that yes, a steak could indeed be cooked this way and be not only "done enough" but also taste really, really good. It wasn't really done enough for me, but that can be solved by a little longer cook time for mine; hubby and son like to hear a faint moo when they stick the fork in so they both thought it was absolutely the best steak they'd had in a long, long time.

And these weren't even ribeyes, but thick New York strip steaks.
"People need a passport to come down here."
tessler
Captain Briner

Postby lunanoir » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:47 pm

I prefer this to grilling steaks now. I'm addicted to the brown crusty goodness.

And I have an admission - I don't like to use my cast iron for this. I prefer my All-Clad stainless pan.

- jen
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby Kama » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:17 pm

The begininnings of AB's genius are apparent in this first episode, but I really like looking back at this one to see how much the show has improved since the start. - Check it out when it airs today.
Kama
Director of Children's Services and Handwashing Education
GEFP's Official "Sour Grape"
Kama
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby jersully » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:51 pm

The technique being so easy, this is also the skill I use most that I learned from AB. But I live in a very old house with no good ventilation so it smokes up the house. Tonight I tried to modify it for my propane grill and was very happy with the results!!!!!

I wasn't sure how long it would take to heat up the grill, so I turned both burners, put in my cast iron skillet (lightly oiled) , put my coil style oven thermometer in the skillet and left it for a few minutes. I was disappointed at the heat gain so I set my timer for 30 minutes and came back then.

The heat was off the charts! It had completely wrapped around 600 or whatever my thermometer has. I sat the thermometer to the side and put on my steak. One minute on each side, then 30 seconds on each as a last minute decision. Then I took out the skillet and cooked for 2 minutes on each side. The thermometer was still off the chart this whole time.

I ended up with a perfectly cooked medium (or is it medium well?) steak. Pink in the very middle but no blood - just the way I like steak.

Next time I'll use my probe thermometer to chart grill temps rather than fly blind as I did tonight. I'm happy that I got such a good steak without smoking the house up. But I'm afraid I wasted WAY too much propane!

All in all, for an experiment this steak couldn't have been better!
jersully
Commander Briner

Postby Taboni » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:37 am

jersully wrote:Next time I'll use my probe thermometer to chart grill temps rather than fly blind as I did tonight.

If you do that you will most likely blow out your probe thermometer as most of them don't work above 400 or so. It's actually the wire that gets fried in high temps so maybe try wrapping it in foil if you are determined to give it a try.
Official Ship's Geek

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon doesn't come from turkeys
Taboni
Lieutenant Briner

Postby jersully » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:06 pm

Taboni wrote:
jersully wrote:Next time I'll use my probe thermometer to chart grill temps rather than fly blind as I did tonight.

If you do that you will most likely blow out your probe thermometer as most of them don't work above 400 or so. It's actually the wire that gets fried in high temps so maybe try wrapping it in foil if you are determined to give it a try.
Hmm, good point. I'll find another thermometer.

I figured laying it in the middle of the skillet would be best since it wouldn't catch any direct heat from the flames below.
jersully
Commander Briner

Postby pogo102 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:17 pm

god, is the steak from this episode good....
they're CHICKEN wings, NOT "buffalo wings"!
pogo102
Seaman Recruit Briner

Postby huskertko » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:37 pm

I hate to dredge up a older topic, but I missed this episode. Being a newbie to this site, I am trying to "catch up" on all the older threads, and this one sounds very interesting. Could someone please explain the "method" for using cast iron and a broiler to make a steak? I have a pretty good idea, but want to make sure I am on the right track.

Thanks
huskertko

Postby jackiecat » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:18 pm

Go to http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/GEFP/index.htm

On the left you will see a link to Episode Index, Choose Title, then scroll to "Steak your claim" You can then click on recipe which takes you to the food network recipe (which isn't always accurate) or click on transcript (which will give you a transcript of the whole show and is VERY reliable)

Enjoy exploring the Goodeats fan page, should keep you happy and busy for serveral days.

Thanks Mikemenn again for this.
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby richo270 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi All,

I am a recent viewer of Good Eats, and Alton is by far my fav food guy. I just viewed the steak show a few days ago and loved it. I do much the same, which some modifications.

I have an older gas grill with just grates with a cast cover that keeps in the heat. I have a large cast iron skillet that I just use on the grill, it lives inside the grill.

I am a big fan of steak, I fix it 3 X per week. To start with, I turn the grill on to high and let it heat up with the skillet inside. It usually takes only about 5 min. to heat up to where water will dance on the skillet, and I figure it is good to go.

While it is heating, I prepare the meat. I do it a little different than the show, I coat the meat with oil first on both sides, and then salt and pepper only one side.

When the pan is hot, I flip the steak on the pan with the seasoned side down to sear 30 sec. While it is searing, I salt and pepper the top side. Then flip to sear the second side.

When the second side is seared, I turn off all the gas, flip again, and close the grill lid. There is enough heat to finish cooking each side inside the grill. I like to buy extra thin steaks, they cook in about 60 sec. additional on both sides.

I really like cooking this way outside. No heat, smoke or odors inside. Plus there is little or no clean up. When I cook again the next time, I just scrape the pan with a square steel spatula, wipe with paper towels, and I am good to go.

I have used this method with burgers as well, but you have to leave the heat on longer after searing, it seems burgers take longer to get cooked through.
richo270

Postby jackiecat » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi richo270

Welcome to the board! Why don't you go over to General Chat and introduce yourself? [/i]
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Steak Your Claim vs Raising The Steaks (Opening)

Postby The Food Dude » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:16 pm

I watched Steak Your Claim tonightand most of the show seemed eerily familiar. I then went and watched Raising The Steaks and it seemed alot of the show was the same.

I realized it was different, in that the opening Scene in Steak Your Claim Alton is Wearing a Hat and in Raising The Steaks he is sans hat, but a different Shirt.

The dialogue was exactly the same though. Just want to make sure I wasn't going crazy? LOL

So the two shows use alot of the same scenes? Even though they are 6 seasons apart.
Cook On!

Steve Lobdell aka The Food Dude
The Food Dude Personal Chef Service
email: steven.lobdell@wellpoint.com

www.yourfooddude.com

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
The Food Dude
Seaman Recruit Briner

Re: Steak Your Claim vs Raising The Steaks (Opening)

Postby Andrew » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:25 pm

The Food Dude wrote:So the two shows use alot of the same scenes? Even though they are 6 seasons apart.

To quote AB

"Hey.. sets are expensive."
Andrew
Lieutenant Briner

Return to Show Specific Discussions