[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - The Other Red Meat - 6/19/2002

The Other Red Meat - 6/19/2002

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

What did you think?

It was so cool - now I want to cook on a Jet Engine too!!
70%
nice even sear and nice red middle, a good job all around
30%
tasted like cat food
No votes

Total votes : 10

The Other Red Meat - 6/19/2002

Postby Kama » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:16 am

A quick trip to the afterlife, and a conversation with a talking Turtle convinces host Alton Brown to put down his Delmonico and eat more tuna. In this episode we find out how to grill on a chimney charcoal starter, how to avoid fake soy sauce, and why you can see a rainbow on Tuna Steaks. In addition, AB includes plenty of contemporary references, from The Terminator and the Secret Word of the Day, to John Lovitz
Last edited by Kama on Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kama
Director of Children's Services and Handwashing Education
GEFP's Official "Sour Grape"
Kama
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:53 am

Interesting poll - either I liked it, or I liked it. :)
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Kama » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:19 am

ARRRGGGHHH!!

I was trying for "loved" "liked" and "hated" . . . but the last option seems to have dropped off the poll - I'll go fix it.
Kama
Kama
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Tymoria » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:31 am

I've always loved this episode. It came out just before I met him at the signing.
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby saraimay75 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:50 pm

That Tuna made me drool.
God love admiration . . . I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it.
~Alice Walker~
saraimay75
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Capcool56 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:59 pm

after seeing that episode, i ran into the kitchen, picked up the bottle of soy sauce and to my surprise.... IT WAS FAKE!!! then the next day i ran out and bought kikkoman
Capcool56
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kama » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:34 pm

I know the problem. The cheap chinese joint near my place has started thinking I am really strange - the fact that I would SPECIFY no soy sauce in my to go orders was weird enough. But the last time I ate in I brought my own soy sauce (Kikkoman's lite) which was really too wierd.
Kama
Kama
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby eye4got » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:49 am

Kama wrote:I know the problem. The cheap chinese joint near my place has started thinking I am really strange - the fact that I would SPECIFY no soy sauce in my to go orders was weird enough. But the last time I ate in I brought my own soy sauce (Kikkoman's lite) which was really too wierd.

Nah, they get used to our weirdnesses. (Is that even a word?) My brother visits his favorite Chinese restaurant at least once a week. He always orders Crispy Beef and has them prepare it extra-crispy and extra-spicy(hot). And he always brings his own habanero flakes which he dumps on the whole thing. They don't ever bat an eye.
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby Wayne » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:46 pm

I prepared the Chimney Tuna Loin this past weekend and it was GREAT!

I have tried 2 other (non-GE) recipes for tuna and they were both so-so, but this was really flavorful.

I wasn't able to cook over a "jet engine"; I used a super hot cast iron skillet and it still turned out fine.

Try this sometime if you can.

-Wayne

P.S. - If searing tuna on cast iron causes some deadly chemical reaction, please don't let me know. :shock:

P.P.S. - I used a 1/2lb portion and it was fine.
Wayne

Postby Morgoroth » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:01 am

What was that ingredient that AB talked about in the Soy Sauce?
I missed it and I tried to read labels to refresh my memory and that just made the confusion worse.
Peter: Lois, it is called "the poop deck", that is why I pooped there.
Ship Officer: You're disgusting.
Peter: And you're misleading.
Morgoroth
Third Class Petty Officer Briner

Postby Painaxl » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:11 pm

Morgoroth wrote:What was that ingredient that AB talked about in the Soy Sauce?
I missed it and I tried to read labels to refresh my memory and that just made the confusion worse.

Hydrolyzed vegetable protein.

Kikkoman's is a good middle of the road available everywhere choice.

Welcome to the board! Don't forget to check out the transcripts!
Painaxl
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Briner

Return to Show Specific Discussions