[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - sandwich craft

sandwich craft

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

sandwich craft

Postby mojopox » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:46 am

here we go again with another universal theory. this time it's the universal sandwich theory. alton is joined by elton and his sister and they learn about sandwiches and a little bit of poker.

whatcha think of the show?--dave
Last edited by mojopox on Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby mizducky » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:58 am

I was predisposed to the topic--I adore a good sandwich. I found the presentation entertaining--what is the name of the kid who plays Elton again? he's quite appealing to watch plying his acting craft--and the intro was especially cute. And while some of the info in the show had been presented in other forms elsewhere--a bunch of sandwich basics were covered in "Remains of the Bird," for instance--there was also some cool new info. Like how to press Cuban sandwiches without buying the expensive gizmo--I love that (and I love Cuban sandwiches). And the roasted veggie cream cheese schmear recipe is definitely an idea I'm going to use. I love pan bagnat too--my one and only ever trip to Europe was to Nice, where vendors sell those at the beach. The authentic recipe I like a little better--just EVOO rather than vinaigrette, and a few achovies on top of all the other stuff--but as lots of folks over here don't care for anchovies, AB's version probably would go over better, especially with the kid audience he was aiming at.
Last edited by mizducky on Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spring is sprung
The grass is riz
I wonder where
The duckies is
mizducky
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby cindy » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:20 am

Absolutely loved this show too (Sandwichcraft). My kid's think Food Network should give young Elton his own kid's cooking show. We hope to see more of him. He had such good technique when it came to cutting, adding ingredients, etc.! Loved it, along my kids.
cindy

Postby ChileBriano » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:06 pm

Good Show ... Nice to see Sister Marsha back as she has always been good comidic fadder for AB.

I'll probably make the cuban sandwiches though I'll use my grill pan and a brick instead of the method he showed and something other than the yellow mustard ( can't stand yellow salad mustard )

the lad who played Elton turned in another fine performance.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
-- Mitch Radcliffe
ChileBriano
Rear Admiral (upper half) Briner

Postby Meriadoc » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:19 pm

I thought the ep was decent enough...

personally, "500 degrees for one hour" seems like overkill for a sammich, but that's me...

loved the part in the intro where Elton gives Marsha a dissertation on what Uncle AB "really" meant by the Earl of Sandwich demo..

I wonder how many shoots were necessary for Elton to "swish" the wonder bread into the grocery cart...?

And, of course, I nearly soiled myself laughing when Alton proclaimed, "Go Food!"
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
--David St. Hubbins

"Our respect for human rights requires us to execute (Saddam)."
-- Iraqi PM Nouri al-Maliki
Meriadoc
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby dynagirl » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:54 pm

It was a cute episode, but what was up with those sandwiches? My family is full of weird and classic sandwich eaters, and none of those were winners! I don't have roast pork lying around, and I don't like canned tuna. Why not a good old muffaletta instead of that yucky french thing? Also, avocados exist to be on sandwiches--why not a California club kind of thing? Obviously, I don't really need help inventing sandwiches. I don't really enjoy the episodes that are created for a Food Network theme.
"promise not to kill this silent conversation" --Barbara Kessler, "Notion"
"I hold the conversation from both sides"--Jennifer Kimball, "Kissing in the Car"
dynagirl
Captain Briner

Postby kpfleming » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:29 pm

Noone mentioned the opening graphics? I'm shocked!

I had to stop my Tivo and wait while I finished laughing after seeing "Marsha's spawn" on the screen :-)
kpfleming
Lieutenant Briner

Postby Chemicallcrow » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:33 pm

mizducky wrote:And the roasted veggie cream cheese schmear recipe is definitely an idea I'm going to use.

I just used it...YUMMMMMMM!!!!
Chemicallcrow
Third Class Petty Officer Briner

Postby stixx23 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:46 am

I haven't seen the episode yet. But seeing that there's a little about poker, I'm wondering if there was an Odd Couple reference in the show? The begining of that movie (when the guys are playing poker in Oscar's apartment, waiting for Felix to show up) kills me every time:

Roy : You still didn't fix the refrigerator. It's been two weeks now - no wonder it stinks in here.
Oscar Madison : Temper, temper. If I wanted nagging, I'd go back with my wife. I'm out. Who wants food?
Murray : What do you got?
Oscar Madison : I got, uh, brown sandwiches and, uh, green sandwiches. Which one do you want?
Murray : What's the green?
Oscar Madison : It's either very new cheese or very old meat.
Murray : I'll take the brown.
[Oscar hands Murray a sandwich which Murray starts wolfing down]
Roy : Are you crazy? You're not going to eat that, are you?
Murray : I'm hungry!
Roy : His refrigerator has been out of order for two weeks now. I saw milk standing in there that wasn't even in the bottle!
Oscar Madison : What are you, some kind of health nut? Eat, Murray, eat!
(courtesy IMDB.com)

That line kills me almost as much as Felix clearing his sinuses.

FMEH! FMEH!
G.E.S. Chickeny Hands Classic Movie Archivist and Master of Minutiae.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

http://blog.ofrg.org/
stixx23
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Meriadoc » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:23 pm

stixx23 wrote:I haven't seen the episode yet. But seeing that there's a little about poker, I'm wondering if there was an Odd Couple reference in the show?

Actually, they aren't playing poker; it's a description of the origin of the word "sandwich". As props, AB was holding five cards, and a pile of chips were in front of him. (Did anyone notice that Elton was holding six cards? ;) )

Anyway, there aren't any poker references; and, in fact, the Earl of Sandwich wouldn't have been playing poker, although he was certainly playing cards and gambling...
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
--David St. Hubbins

"Our respect for human rights requires us to execute (Saddam)."
-- Iraqi PM Nouri al-Maliki
Meriadoc
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby eye4got » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:37 pm

cindy wrote:Absolutely loved this show too (Sandwichcraft). My kid's think Food Network should give young Elton his own kid's cooking show. We hope to see more of him. He had such good technique when it came to cutting, adding ingredients, etc.! Loved it, along my kids.

I like him too, but if FN gave him his own show, he might not have time to make appearances on GE.

Sandwich Craft is a very good episode, IMHO. As someone who worked part-time in a deli for the better part of 15 years, I like to think I learned a few things about sammiches. I'm not sure I agree 100% about the belief that "Soft fillings go on soft breads". Everything else he presented was good info.
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby Jay von » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:01 am

I thought this was a good one. When Elton puts together why a AB sent Marsha out for a panini machine when there was one in the kitchen already... priceless!

I've made the pan bagnat twice, and think it's fantastic. Plan to use "pouch" tuna next time. Canned tuna is becoming a thing of the past in my kitchen.
Jay von
Resident Hippie

Return to Show Specific Discussions