[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - and the winner is:

Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - and the winner is:

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - and the winner is:

Postby DanC » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:25 pm

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan

Thanks, Pixie, I can find out where you live... I may come repossess that couch.

ok, the Mrs. disagrees, but I usually get what I want, so,
Cookoff #8 will be ribs.

I was going to make it anything but pork ribs, actually I was gonna make it beef ribs,
but in my older age, I've learned the art of compromise.

Bring on your best rib recipe.
I will try the ones I like, but this one needs to run past the first of the year since I'll be gone a week during Christmas...
although I'll be in Colorado and might get some good wild animal...

is that ok? carla, are ribs sustainable?

Ok, Rib on.

and btw my standard rib treatment is no backyard ribs, so those will be discounted.
Last edited by DanC on Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanC
Admiral Briner

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs

Postby mhalbrook » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:28 pm

DanC wrote:and btw my standard rib treatment is no backyard ribs, so those will be discounted.

Step one move grill to front yard :D
Step Two proceed with your standard grilling :D
mhalbrook
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Slamdunkpro » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:30 pm

DanC wrote:and btw my standard rib treatment is no backyard ribs, so those will be discounted.

What's a backyard rib?
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby DanC » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:48 am

Slamdunkpro wrote:

What's a backyard rib?

AB's recipe from the original book. page 168, i think.
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby DanC » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:43 pm

so, um, I was thinking about picking up some ribs for the weekend...
anyone got a good recipe/method I could try?

carla?

:lol:
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby moonablaze » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:25 pm

I like to baste baby back ribs with JD sauce while they're on the grill, then cut them up and drizzle the remaining sauce on top before serving.

Jack Daniel's Sauce
* 1 tablespoon onion powder
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
* 1 cup pineapple juice
* 1/2 cup JD
* 2 cups brown sugar
* 2 beef bouillon cubes
* 4 tablespoons worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool and use as a sauce on a grilled meat.
A good cook is a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
- Elsa Schiapirelli

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson
moonablaze
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Unknown Foodie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:13 pm

Before I begin, I remove the membrane on the back of the ribs. Then I rub my baby back or St. Louis style ribs with a 50/50 mix of Lawry's Seasoned salt & Emeril's SW Essenece and smoke them over hickory for an hour. I them wrap them tightly in HD foil, place 'em on a sheet pan and bake 'em for 2 1/2 hours at 225. I then open up the foil, apply Sweet Baby Ray's Spicy BBQ sauce and broil for 3 - 5 minutes each side.
Mmmmmm.......... :D
A virtual fountain of useless knowledge!

Unknown Foodie
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:15 pm

Hey DanC!
Ain't TOUCHING this one! :P :oops: :lol: :oops:

Sorry, apologies, mea culpa.
Signed:
A Thread Killer.

DanC wrote:so, um, I was thinking about picking up some ribs for the weekend...
anyone got a good recipe/method I could try?

carla?

:lol:
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby KittyFixer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:13 pm

Best Ribs on Earth:

1) Buy case of St Louis style ribs
2) Give ribs to Slam
(subroutine of starting the smoker, peeling membranes, and dusting w/King Leo's Butt Rub begins)
3) Make margaritas and sit on deck till ribs are done.

See? Easy. :)
KittyFixer
Second Class Petty Officer Briner

Postby DanC » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:43 am

anyone get the new Cook's Illustrated?

someone post the recipe for boneless braised ribs, because i'm trying them tonight.
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby DitsyD » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 am

DanC wrote:anyone get the new Cook's Illustrated?

someone post the recipe for boneless braised ribs, because i'm trying them tonight.

BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS
serves 6

Make sure that the ribs are at least 4 inches long and 1 inch thick. If boneless ribs are unavailable, substitute 7 pounds of bone-in beef short ribs at least 4 inches long with 1 inch of meat above the bone. To remove the meat from the bone, see the illustrations in the magazine. They recommend a bold red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Cotes du Rhone. The test kitchen’s preferred brand of beef broth is Pacific. Serve with egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or roasted potatoes.

3-1/2 pounds boneless short ribs, trimmed of excess fat
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large onions, peeled and sliced thin from pole to pole (about 4 cups)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
6 medium garlic cloves, peeled
2 cups red wine
1 cup beef broth
4 large carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
¼ cup cold water
½ teaspoon powdered gelatin

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Pat beef dry with paper towels and season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat until smoking. Add half of beef and cook, without moving, until well browned., 4 to 6 minutes. Turn beef and continue to cook on second side until well browned, 4 to 6 minutes longer, reducing heat if fat begins to smoke. Transfer beef to medium bowl. Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and meat.

2. Reduce heat to medium, add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes. (If onions begin to darken too quickly, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water to pan.) Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until it browns on sides and bottom of pan, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Increase heat to medium-high, add wine and simmer, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits, until reduced by half, 8 to 10 minutes. Add broth, carrots, thyme, and bay leaf. Add beef and any accumulated juices to pot; cover and bring to simmer. Transfer pot to oven and cook, using tongs to turn meat twice during cooking, until fork slips easily in and out of meat, 2 to 2-1/2 hours.

3. Place water in small bowl and sprinkle gelatin on top; let stand at least 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer meat and carrots to serving platter and tent with foil. Strain cooking liquid through fine-mesh strainer into fat separator or bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids. Allow liquid to settle about 5 minutes and strain off fat. Return cooking liquid to Dutch oven and cook over medium heat until reduced to 1 cup, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in gelatin mixture, season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over meat and serve.
"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means." ~Albert Einstein
"Life is too short to make crust for uncertain pies."~Wendy McClure
If looks could kill, women wouldn't need frying pans.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.
DitsyD
Admiral Briner

Postby DanC » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:57 am

ok, the braised boneless beef ribs were to.die.for... but it took way longer than I expected...

we ate after 7:30 last night, which is about an hour late for us. :oops:

I (we- Patrick and I) even ate 2 carrot pieces each)
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby eye4got » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:28 pm

on 12/88, DanC wrote:anyone get the new Cook's Illustrated?

on 12/19, DanC wrote:ok, the braised boneless beef ribs were to.die.for... but it took way longer than I expected...

:think:
So does DitsyD win because she posted the recipe that DanC said he wanted to see in the cookoff?
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby DitsyD » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:01 pm

eye4got wrote:
on 12/88, DanC wrote:anyone get the new Cook's Illustrated?

on 12/19, DanC wrote:ok, the braised boneless beef ribs were to.die.for... but it took way longer than I expected...

:think:
So does DitsyD win because she posted the recipe that DanC said he wanted to see in the cookoff?

Disclaimer: I did not post the CI recipe hoping to win. I posted because Dan asked. I really do not want to win because we will be out of town until January 5 and I didn't do anything worthy of a win.
"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means." ~Albert Einstein
"Life is too short to make crust for uncertain pies."~Wendy McClure
If looks could kill, women wouldn't need frying pans.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.
DitsyD
Admiral Briner

Postby DanC » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:15 pm

no, I'm not going to pick D to win... well, i might, but i just wanted to do beef ribs.

now that's out of my system, I can test the other 2 recipes.
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby SFB » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:12 pm

Asian style braised short ribs

I make these the day before so I can thenskim the fat off the top of the pot before finnishing when ready the next day. You can use a 5 qt dutch oven or a crockpot.

5 lbs beef short ribs (bone in)
1 c soy sauce
1/4 c rice wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
1 stalk lemon grass halved and smashed
1 1inch piece peeled and minced ginger
1/2 c light brown sugar
1 qt. water
1/2 c sliced green onion white part only (use green as garnish)
3/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 c orange juice
1/4 c hoisin sauce
Juice of half a lemon
2 T orange zest (as an additional garnish)

preheat oven to 350

Combine the ribs, soy, vinegar, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, b sugar, water, green onion bottoms, red pepper flakes, and 2 T orange juice. Make sure ribs are submerged.
Bake covered for 3 hours or till ribs are tender. Remove ribs, cover and set aside. Increase oven temp to 425.

Discard fat from liquid. (I do it to this point then in the fridge overnight covered and just skim the fat off the top the next day and continue)

Place the juices in a sauce pan with 1/4 c hoisin sauce, bring to a boil and reduce to 1 1/4 cups remain. strain the remaing liquid and stir in the remaing 2 T orange juice and the lemon juice.

Return the ribs to the liquid and cook 10 minutes till warmed thru and glazed. Garnish with green onion and orange zest.

This is easier than it looks.
More wag, less bark.
SFB
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby DanC » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:22 pm

dave, I'm doin yours today/tomorrow...

you don't brown the ribs before the braise? any reason why or not?
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby SFB » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:09 pm

You can brown them if you like, not really needed but you certainly may.
More wag, less bark.
SFB
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby SFB » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:16 pm

One more tip on these ribs. Once you have them cooked and cooled, remove the bones (if they haven't fallen out already), and snip off the connective tissue before the finish in the sauce. Don't sweat it if you don't have the lemon grass.

BTW, you've seen pictures of these in my sunday cooking threads.
More wag, less bark.
SFB
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby DanC » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:55 pm

last call on rib recipes...

I will be doing pork ribs tomorrow, so a winner will be forthcoming.

fess up recipes if ya got em...
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby DanC » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:14 am

ok, here we go again...

I had the day off Monday and was being domestic, so I did the Great American Rib Off, too. Pork flavor.

I had a 3 pack of ribs so I decided to do #1 as a standard AB method,
rub#9, wrapped in foil, reduced sauce after, then broiled

#2 was done with rub #9, smoked 1 hour, then wrapped 2 1/2 hours, then broiled with moonablaze's JD sauce.
I used beef stock instead of bullion cubes, so it took about an hour to reduce.

#3 was unknown foodies Lawry/Essence/Sweet Baby Ray's, smoked 1 hour, wrapped 2 1/2, then broiled.

I kept the smoker at about 250 the whole time...
and used pecan because that's what I had.

unknown foodie's top back, moonie's top front, AB's bottom.

moonie's to the left, unknown foodie's to the right.

so we ate each one and discussed...

and the winner is!

moonablaze

the JD sauce was awesome, sweet with a back bite of cayenne.
the added side benefit from buying a quart of pineapple juice,
pineapple sorbet! :)

unknown foodie's was very good too, but we thought it was a tad salty.
I'd have to give dave's asian ribs and unknown foodies Sweet Baby Ray's a tie for 2nd.

so moonablaze, you're up!

congrats!
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby moonablaze » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:15 pm

ah the golden sweetness of jdsauce!

alright! lets see... how about we have some.... CITRUS!
A good cook is a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
- Elsa Schiapirelli

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson
moonablaze
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to Cookoffs