[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - 'Twas The Night Before Good Eats'

'Twas The Night Before Good Eats'

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

'Twas The Night Before Good Eats'

Postby Lovestolaugh » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Alton is back to his old self as wacky as ever and I really enjoyed the episode last night!!
Now hes got me wanting to make 'Wassail', figgy pudding {I think that's what that was}, and Aged 'kosher-ed' duck.
I have my own great stuffing/dressing recipe so I'm not too interested in his.
That 'Wassail' stuff is pretty scary looking!! Mixing wine with ale? Then mixing eggs into that? Sounds yukky :?
I'm still curious so I'll cut down the recipe and make a super small batch.
If a whole civilization drank this concoction back in history how bad could it be?
The duck looked delicious!! Now to figure out how to order a fresh long Island duck.
Looking forward to more good eats Alton!!! :clap:
All the actors who played the Ghosts did a great job!!
Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."
John 6:35
Lovestolaugh
Master Chief Petty Officer Briner

Re: 'Twas The Night Before Good Eats'

Postby mccrum » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:22 pm

So I've been inspired to make duck this weekend, but, unfortunately, I tuned in a little too late to see anything prior to the slicing the skin along the breast to let the fat escape. Other than slicing 'em open in order to spread on the broiler pan, can anyone tell me what I missed?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
mccrum
Seaman Recruit Briner

Postby Lovestolaugh » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:59 pm

From what I remember, Alton cut the back bone out, folded the wings under I think, lay it on a pan skin up, Oh yea, it was a drip pan, so the moisture could drip out of the bird onto paper towels underneath the pan. I'm not quite sure at what point he put the slashes in the skin. Then he covered the whole bird with lots of heavy Kosher salt, sorry but I don't recall the amount. He called it Kosher-ing. Then he put the bird uncovered in the bottom of the fridge for 4 days I think. When he took it out of the fridge he called the duck '"mummified". Then he baked it but I'm not sure for how long. I think he may have turned the baking sheet 1/2 way through cooking. Yesterday I went on food network trying to find the recipe for this episode but I couldn't find them. Maybe they've been posted since then. I'll have to look again because I want to make these recipes too!!
Try looking on http://www.foodnetwork.com for the Good Eats Show they usually put up the original recipes from the show and sometimes even a video.
Hope this helped a bit!
Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."
Lovestolaugh

Postby mccrum » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:14 pm

Lovestolaugh, many thanks! You got exactly what I missed (cutting out the back bone). It looked like the wings, et. al. were spread across the pan and not folded back, but I could very easily be wrong.

The breast is scored gently (only through the 1/4" layer of skin and fat, not the meat) once per side from top to bottom. Salt amount wasn't precise, just enough to cover and dry brine (probably 1-2 tbl) and after the fridge time, whatever left is wiped off. Oh, and paper towels go in the bottom of the roasting pan to soak up any liquids. These are removed before cooking.

350 for 30 minutes, rotate the pan, 30 more minutes. Crank it to 450 for about 10-15 for crispy skin.

At any rate, I'll find out this weekend, Daffy is in the fridge right now.
mccrum
Seaman Recruit Briner

Postby okbye » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:35 pm

They were splayed out for the drying process but he did tuck the wings before baking it. To slit the skin he laid the knife flat on it's side and ran it across the skin so it didn't penetrate even the fat layer. There was a salt ratio, I'll have to go back and look.

I still have it on the tivo if anything else was missed.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby jasonmolinari » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:41 pm

He used 1 tablespoon of salt per pound of duck.
jasonmolinari
Seaman Apprentice Briner

Postby mccrum » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Awesome, thanks for the help all, time for more salt then...
mccrum
Seaman Recruit Briner

Postby Lovestolaugh » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:06 am

P.S. {and welcome to the message board by the way!}
One thing I think I remember Alton doing, that I left out of my last post was that I think he might have also cut or scored the breast bone on the inside/underside of the bird as part of his prep.I could be mistaken, but I thought I saw him do something like that.
Good luck with Daffy!!! Let us know how he tastes!!!
Lovestolaugh

Postby mccrum » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:44 am

Will do. Day one shows him looking somewhat pink and blotchy as moisture is being drawn up during the koshering. Really fascinating to watch. Plus, it does take up a lot of space, I can't avoid seeing him.
mccrum
Seaman Recruit Briner

Postby DinerMo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:02 pm

Lovestolaugh wrote:P.S. {and welcome to the message board by the way!}
One thing I think I remember Alton doing, that I left out of my last post was that I think he might have also cut or scored the breast bone on the inside/underside of the bird as part of his prep.

He did that as part of the butterfly-ing so to lay* the bird flat.

*I chose this wording purposefully--it goes rather well Alton's statement at the beginning of the episode about laying down, doncha think? (and yeah, yeah, yeah, I can throw no stones about bad grammar, but mistakes like that can make me titter for a ridiculous amount of time)
DinerMo
Third Class Petty Officer Briner

Postby aem » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:40 pm

We always do a duck for Christmas dinner, and this year we tried AB's salted and spatchcocked version. I found it really salty -- what have other people thought about it? And the skin could have been crisper. Any comments or experience with this?

(We'd just done an air-dried duck a week or so earlier, which was lovely, so I'm comparing not to the Platonic ideal of Duckliness but to an actual recent bird, FWIW.)
aem
Seaman Briner

Return to Show Specific Discussions