[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - TAKE A STAND: Round 2 - Cornbread

TAKE A STAND: Round 2 - Cornbread

If you're new here, please stop in and read our policies, meet the admins and get comfortable.

Cornbread: Sugar, or no Sugar?

Sugar has no place in cornbread.
12%
Sugar is a key ingredient in cornbread.
32%
I go both ways.
56%

Total votes : 34

Re: TAKE A STAND: Round 2 - Cornbread

Postby Gipper » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:19 pm

Norm357 wrote:If you put sugar in cornbread, it by definition, is no longer cornbread. It is a corn cake. Two seperate critters.

Actually, as I pointed out earlier, sugar or not, it is neither bread nor cake, but a muffin. There's no such thing as corn"bread", unless you make a loaf of bread and put cornmeal in it, which is not the same as "cornbread" as we are discussing here.

How long until we get this moved to Poly-Fry? :lol:
Gipper
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Norm357 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:32 pm

Gipper said:

Actually, as I pointed out earlier, sugar or not, it is neither bread nor cake, but a muffin. There's no such thing as corn"bread", unless you make a loaf of bread and put cornmeal in it, which is not the same as "cornbread" as we are discussing here.

As a born and bread (haha) Son of the South, I'm going to disagree with everything that you posted there.
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby Gipper » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:53 pm

Norm357 wrote:Gipper said:

As a born and bread (haha) Son of the South, I'm going to disagree with everything that you posted there.

That may be so, but as a born and bread (LOL) New Englander, I'm going to demand you provide proof that there is a structural difference between cornbread without sugar and cornbread with.
Gipper
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:15 am

OT - Why was Take A Stand 1 - Watermelon moved to the Welcome to the GEFP forum? :?

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby tj » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:28 am

Fizzy, I do appreciate your concern, but it is my experience that the well-lubed utensil rusteth not.

What I really would like to see included in this thread, for those of us who seem to be in sore need of illumination, is the favored recipes of the non-sugared elite.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:18 am

Butterbean wrote:OT - Why was Take A Stand 1 - Watermelon moved to the Welcome to the GEFP forum? :?

because i think that it was worth saving, but didnt deserve to be put into the post we dont want to forget abyss.
i thought it was a good debate, but not worthy of the hated poli-fry forum.
i also thought it would be good for newbies to get a heads up on the "important" issues around here.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Pixietoes » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:57 pm

Butterbean wrote:I don't like sweet cornbread, but some sugar is OK. :twisted:

This. No-sugar cornbread never calls my name, but a bit of sugar not only adds sweetness but moistness that I prefer in cornbread. I voted for sugar, and I realize that lumps me in with people who like sweet corn cake rather than cornbread, but I don't care for sugarless stuff. (I still love you Norm.)
“...If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything...” Marilyn Monroe
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby okbye » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:02 pm

Most recipes I've seen call for between 2 TBS and 1/4 cp sugar, I'm more of a 2 TBSP gal. It's not sweet but it's moister and the sugar brings out the flavor of the corn. Like I said earlier, I don't get why some people can't see that, we know all about additives that intensify flavor without imparting their own. Just plain thick headedness I tells ya! :evil:
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Myrealana » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:20 am

1-2 TB or so of sugar in the cornbread brings out the "corny" flavor.

Without that, it's too *blah* to eat.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby BonBon » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Not only do I like sugar in my cornbread/muffin/cake, but I like maple syrup and butter slathered on also. This with navy bean and ham hock soup. yum. That is how we roll in Iowa.

Bonnie
Q: What was the most positive result of
the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
A: It took 95% of the
Obama bumper stickers off the road.
--David Letterman
BonBon
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby JeanC » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Depends on what recipe I am using, some call for sugar, some don't. That said, hubby doesn't care for corn bread, so I usually have Jiffy mix on hand for when I want some :D
----
"Soon life will become more interesting" - Chinese fortune cookie

Jean
http://purple-ducky.com/
JeanC
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby bigchz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:37 pm

BonBon wrote:Not only do I like sugar in my cornbread/muffin/cake, but I like maple syrup and butter slathered on also. This with navy bean and ham hock soup. yum. That is how we roll in Iowa.

Bonnie

I hear ya there. :) Sans maple syrup. :wink: Escpecially in the cold winter months. That or a good bowl of Chilli(with or without beans). I do have a sense this will be the next TAKE A STAND topic. :D

Didn't mean to steal you thunder shawn.
Cheese is not a condiment, it is the ambrosial food group at the top of the Olympian food pinnacle.
Carla.
bigchz
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby chefshawn » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:49 pm

you didnt steal my thunder so much as spoil the "surprise."

so, without further ado (adieu?), round 3 is up!

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Kamidanshir » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:17 am

Butterbean wrote:OT - Why was Take A Stand 1 - Watermelon moved to the Welcome to the GEFP forum? :?

Apparently because one of the perks of being an admin is the ability to elevate your pet threads to greater prominence :think: ...
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby lunanoir » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Kamidanshir wrote:

Apparently because one of the perks of being an admin is the ability to elevate your pet threads to greater prominence :think: ...

Are you insinuating personal thread favoritism?

:shock:
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:21 pm

Kamidanshir wrote:

um, yeah.

i figured we were done discussing it. i suppose not. it's back until it falls to the page 2 abyss.

chefshawn
Big Brother

Previous

Return to Welcome To The GEFP!