[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 12/11: Cookies!

QOTD 12/11: Cookies!

Swap Recipes

QOTD 12/11: Cookies!

Postby Chef Mongo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:27 am

Do you make Christmas cookies? What's your favorite one to make? Receive?

(Yes, I need to add a new cookie or two to my Christmas repertoire.)
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 12/11: Cookies!

Postby n8urebabe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:43 am

I make 2 recipes every year by popular demand.
Ruth Moulton's Spice Balls
Ghenne's Double chocolate espresso cookies

I also really like Stixx's Cranberry coconut chews for me but I don't make them as often because some people just don't appreciate the yumminess of coconut. :D
Dawn
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne

The act of giving is more important than the merit of the receiver.

Luke: I'll bring back brownies.
Lorelai: Ooh, the pouting has left the building.

n8urebabe
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:58 am

n8urebabe wrote:I make 2 recipes every year by popular demand.
Ruth Moulton's Spice Balls

Sara Moulton? Ruth Reichl? Ruth Bourdain? :D

Just being a smart ass, I got nothing to add! I love spice cookies, and I adore Ghenne & Naturebabe.

To all -- Merry Christmas, Happy Yule, Channukah, and all other holidays!
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby n8urebabe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:10 am

:lol: They are from Sara. I can't remember which relative she credited but that's the name on the recipe if someone wants to find it.
Dawn
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne

The act of giving is more important than the merit of the receiver.

Luke: I'll bring back brownies.
Lorelai: Ooh, the pouting has left the building.

n8urebabe
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:12 am

n8urebabe wrote:Ghenne's Double chocolate espresso cookies

These have become a must-bake in our house, too.

I believe Sara Moulton's daughter is Ruthie, but I don't know if she invented the recipe or not.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Wanda Woman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:04 pm

Mmmmm, cookies! All you baker types, please post your favorite cookie recipes. I'm going to start baking next week.
Wanda Woman
Admiral Briner

Postby Jules » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Not necessarily FOR the holidays, but (as Beenie may remember) I'm a fan of making big ol' whopping batches of these:

Cherry and Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup dried tart cherries (5 ½ oz)
⅓ cup cherry liqueur
2 Tbsp water
1 ½ cups flour
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp almond extract
1 ¼ cups semisweet chocolate chips (8 oz)
1 ¼ cups white chocolate chips (8 oz)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment.
Put cherries in a heat proof bowl. In a small pot bring water and cherry liqueur to a boil and then pour over the cherries. Let sit for 15 minutes then remove the cherries and lightly pat them dry.
Meanwhile, using an electric mixer beat butter and both sugars until fluffy. Add eggs and both extracts and mix thoroughly.
In a separate bowl mix together the flour, salt and baking soda. Then add to the butter mixture and mix just until incorporated.
Stir in cherries and chips.
Scoop tablespoonfuls of dough onto baking sheets.
Bake until edges of cookies are golden, about 13 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.

I marinate the cherries overnight and splash some of the liquid they've sat in into the eggs, to boost the cherry flavor. I only put 6 cookies on a baking sheet, to ensure they bake evenly.

I've also found a chocolate almond thumbprint cookie recipe that I'm gonna try soon. Just need to pick a jam for the "thumbprint" part.
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Party Flavor » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:25 pm

I believe Ruth was Sara's grandmother.

Not a Christmas cookie per se, but I'm making cheesecake-stuffed chocolate chip cookies for an event at work next week.
An opinionated non-authority, petit four lover, and backward telescope aficionado

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

When a chef tells me he is cooking with his grandmother's recipe, I always wonder why. Did talent skip the past two generations?
Party Flavor
Admiral Briner

Postby captnhoney » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:54 pm

I am making my double chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter blossoms and snickerdoodles I might try ginger bread
captnhoney
Commander Briner

Postby Wanda Woman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:02 pm

This thread is worthless without recipes.
Wanda Woman
Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:51 pm

Google 'Washington Post cookies' and you will get results for more than one year's cookie article. The one I opened had 25 recipes and I gained ten pounds reading only partway.

Must avoid cookies, must avoid cookies, must avoid cookies Must avoid cookies. Mourn.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby Cheez-Wiz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:09 pm

Wanda Woman wrote:This thread is worthless without recipes.

Couldn't agree with you more.
My personal favorite is CI's Chai Sugar Cookies

Chai Sugar Cookies

2 1/4 Cup (11 1/4 oz) AP Flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. table salt
1 1/2 Cups (10 1/2 oz) sugar, plus 1/3 Cup for rolling *(I use sanding sugar)*
1/4 t. each ground cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves
Pinch black pepper
2 oz. cream cheese cut into 8 pieces
6 T. butter, melted and still warm
1/3 Cup vegetable oil
1 Lg. egg
1 T. milk
1 t. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°

Whisk flour, baking soda baking powder and salt in medium bowl, set aside

Place 1 1/2 cups sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, pepper and cream cheese in a large bowl.

Pour warm butter over sugar, spices and cream cheese and whisk to combine (some small lumps of cream cheese will remain but will smooth out later).

Whisk in oil until incorporated. Add egg, milk and vanilla. Continue to whisk until smooth.

Add flour mixture and mix with rubber spatula until soft homogeneous dough forms. Chill for 30 minutes in refrigerator.

Divide dough into 24 equal pieces about 2 tablespoons each. Using hands roll dough into balls. Working in batches, roll balls in reserved sugar to coat and evenly space on prepared parchment lined baking sheet. Using bottom of drinking glass flatten dough balls until 2 inches in diameter.

Bake 1 tray at a time until edges are set and just beginning to brown, 11 to 13 minutes, rotating tray after 7 minutes.

Cool cookies on baking sheets 5 minutes. Using wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack to cool to room temperature.
Cheez-Wiz
Commander Briner

Postby thatchairlady » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Though making several kinds to give as gifts, really NOT a big cookie person. Really like date-nut pinwheels... but WAY too much work!?! I prefer soft/chewy cookies over crispy. BUT, after first try at Florentine cokies... I'll definitely make more of these ultra-thing, ultra cripy delights!
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks for the info re: "Ruth"!

LA Times also
Holiday Cookie Bake-Off:
http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la ... orygallery

Scroll down for cookies:
http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la ... orygallery

Hmm. Almond candy cane cookies.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby vickatina » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:25 pm

I actually make 2 of AB's cookie recipes..The gingersnaps and the peppermint pinwheels, but I don't put the peppermint in it, so it's just chocolate and vanilla

I also make sugar (roll-out type) cookies.

Thumbprint cookies rolled in walnuts, strawberry jelly in the middle and drizzled with chocolate
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby Marz Epan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:31 pm

I haven't made these yet but I came across this recipe at Better Homes & Gardens. I do plan on making them.

It's chocolate, it's peanut butter, it even includes peanut butter cups - what's not to love? It's very similar to a cookie I've seen on Pinterest that uses royal icing and marshmallow for the melting snowman effect. Very cute!
Marz Epan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Wanda Woman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Marz Epan wrote:I haven't made these yet but I came across this recipe at Better Homes & Gardens. I do plan on making them.

It's chocolate, it's peanut butter, it even includes peanut butter cups - what's not to love? It's very similar to a cookie I've seen on Pinterest that uses royal icing and marshmallow for the melting snowman effect. Very cute!

Both of those are so cuuuuuuute! (cue Rudolph leaping into the air)

Wanda Woman
Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:04 pm

I'm only making two kinds of cookies this year.

Grandma's Sugar cookies

And a new recipe for Reindeer Cookies that came out great!

Charlene

PM me if you'd like the recipes.
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby new cook » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:41 pm

All of those cookies look great! Love the whimsy of the melting snowmen.

Charlene, is that a gingerbread cookie dough used for the reindeer? I'm looking for the right gingerbread cookie recipe and so far CI's sounds like what I'm looking for, but I'm curious about yours.
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:24 pm

new cook wrote:All of those cookies look great! Love the whimsy of the melting snowmen.

Charlene, is that a gingerbread cookie dough used for the reindeer? I'm looking for the right gingerbread cookie recipe and so far CI's sounds like what I'm looking for, but I'm curious about yours.

No, sorry A, it's chocolate. They are yummy though :)
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby new cook » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:57 am

Char, they do look yummy! And as Wanda said, this thread is useless without recipes. (hint hint) ;)

Here's the CI recipe for gingerbread men that I'm going to use. I like the way this blogger laid it out:

http://manggy.blogspot.com/2007/11/thic ... s.html?m=1

Thick and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies

3 cups (425g) all-purpose flour, preferably unbleached
3/4 cup (150g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1-1/2 sticks (165g) unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces and slightly softened
3/4 cup (225g) molasses (mild or full/robust, your choice, but I found mild to be quite flavorful as it was)
2 tablespoons whole milk

By hand: In a small bowl, combine the molasses and milk and stir together; set aside. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Add the sugar and whisk to combine thoroughly. Scatter the butter pieces over the flour mixture and work it into the flour with a pastry blender (what I used), a fork, two knives, or a rubber spatula until it resembles very fine meal. Drizzle a third of the molasses mixture over the dough and combine with a rubber spatula (what you're doing is essentially moistening the dough). Repeat with half of the remaining molasses, then use it all up. You'll end up with a soft, cohesive dough that looks like coffee ice-cream.

By stand mixer with a paddle attachment: In a small bowl, combine the molasses and milk and stir together; set aside. In the bowl of the mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Mix at low speed until combined (about 30 seconds). Scatter the butter pieces over the top and mix at medium-low speed until it resembles very fine meal (about 90 seconds). Reduce the speed to low and drizzle in the molasses mixture with the mixer running and mix until the dough is moistened thoroughly (about 20 seconds), then increase the speed to medium and mix for 10 seconds more to combine.

By food processor: In a small bowl, combine the molasses and milk and stir together; set aside. Process the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves until combined (about 10 seconds). Scatter the butter pieces over the top and process until it resembles fine meal (about 15 seconds). With the machine running, drizzle in the molasses mixture and process until the dough is evenly moistened and forms a soft mass (about 10 seconds).

Continue here for all methods: Cut out at least 4 parchment rectangles to fit the bottom of your sheet pans. Scrape dough onto a work surface and divide into 2 (I used a scale to be accurate: I divided it into 2-502g masses). Place each dough half onto its own parchment rectangle and cover each with another parchment rectangle. Pat out each with your fingers through the parchment into a rough rectangle, then roll each into an even 1/4-inch thickness sandwiched in between the 2 parchment sheets (one way to get an even thickness is to use magazines of the appropriate thickness on both ends of your rolling pin as a guide-- Bon Appetit is one such magazine). Stack the dough sheets (still intact in their parchment sandwiches) onto a sheet pan and freeze until firm, about 20 minutes, or refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.

Place a rack in the upper and lower-middle positions of your oven and preheat to 350°F (177°C). Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper (I just used the ones on my dough sheets, to conserve paper, no problem). Remove a dough sheet from the fridge and peel off the top parchment sheet, gently lay it back on the dough and put another sheet pan on top. Flip the whole set-up over and peel off then discard the other parchment sheet. Using a 3- or 5-inch gingerbread person cutter or a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out shapes and transfer to the lined sheet pans, leaving 3/4 inch space in between. Bake the cookies for 8 minutes (for 3-inch people, which is what I used), or 8-11 minutes (for 5-inch people or 3-inch cookies), rotating the pans front to back and top to bottom halfway through. You're looking for set centers and for the dough to barely retain an imprint when touched gently with a fingertip. Don't overbake! They will set some more while cooling. Cool the cookies for 2 minutes on the pans then transfer with a wide metal spatula to a cooling rack.

Gather the scraps and repeat the rolling and cutting, chilling the dough again if it's become too soft. I was able to juggle all my rolling and cutting in advance so I can bake them consecutively. The yield is 25 3-inch people, 20 5-inch people, or 30 3-inch cookies. Best if eaten within a week.

For thin, crisp cookies that can be used as ornaments:
Divide the dough into 4 and roll out into an even 1/8-inch thickness. Bake at 325°F (163°C) oven until slightly darkened and firm in the center when pressed, 15-20 minutes for 5-inch gingerbread people.

Royal Icing for Decoration:
1 pasteurized egg white
1 teaspoon lemon juice
(at least) 1-1/2 cups (165g) confectioner's sugar

Using a mixer with a whisk attachment, beat together the egg white and lemon juice until frothy. Sift in all the confectioner's sugar and beat until smooth. Lift the beaters and if a ribbon takes less than 5 seconds to disappear into the icing's surface or runs down the sides when spread over a cookie's edge, add more sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time. Use immediately. You can use a piping bag with a plain tip or load it into a zip-lock bag and snip off a little bit of the tip. The icing will dry and form a crust overnight. If uncomfortable with using a raw egg white due to health concerns, please consult the internet for recipes using meringue powder.

Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Wanda Woman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:11 pm

I made ghenne's Double Chocolate Espresso cookies today. Fantastic!
Wanda Woman
Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:01 am

Here are the recipes for the cookies I made:

Sugar Cookies
From my Great Grandmother

1 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar plus extra for tops
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
dash salt

1 - Preheat oven to 375°. Cream shortening and sugar and add beaten egg and vanilla – then dry ingredients.

2 - Drop by teaspoonful on cookie sheet and flatten a bit with wet fork.

3 - Sprinkle generously with sugar on top.

4 - Bake until delicately brown, approximately 8-10 minutes.

5 - Store at once in tight container (yes, you can store them warm).

Be sure to double the recipe – one is never enough.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Chocolate Reindeer Cookies
From Taste of Home

Ingredients
• 1 cup butter, softened
• 1-1/2 cups Imperial Sugar® / Dixie Crystals® Granulated Sugar
• 3 eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/3 cup baking cocoa
• 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 96 miniature pretzels
• 96 M&M's miniature baking bits
• 48 small red gumdrops
Directions
• In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat
• in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, cream of tartar,
• baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

• Divide dough into eight portions; cover and refrigerate for at least
• 2 hours.

• On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-in. circle;
• cut into six wedges. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
• Press in pretzels for antlers, baking bits for eyes and a gumdrop for the nose.
• Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute
• before removing from pans to wire racks. Store in an airtight
• container. Yield: 4 dozen.

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kristina » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:07 am

Jules wrote:Not necessarily FOR the holidays, but (as Beenie may remember) I'm a fan of making big ol' whopping batches of these:

Cherry and Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup dried tart cherries (5 ½ oz)
⅓ cup cherry liqueur
2 Tbsp water
1 ½ cups flour
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp almond extract
1 ¼ cups semisweet chocolate chips (8 oz)
1 ¼ cups white chocolate chips (8 oz)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment.
Put cherries in a heat proof bowl. In a small pot bring water and cherry liqueur to a boil and then pour over the cherries. Let sit for 15 minutes then remove the cherries and lightly pat them dry.
Meanwhile, using an electric mixer beat butter and both sugars until fluffy. Add eggs and both extracts and mix thoroughly.
In a separate bowl mix together the flour, salt and baking soda. Then add to the butter mixture and mix just until incorporated.
Stir in cherries and chips.
Scoop tablespoonfuls of dough onto baking sheets.
Bake until edges of cookies are golden, about 13 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.

I marinate the cherries overnight and splash some of the liquid they've sat in into the eggs, to boost the cherry flavor. I only put 6 cookies on a baking sheet, to ensure they bake evenly.

I've also found a chocolate almond thumbprint cookie recipe that I'm gonna try soon. Just need to pick a jam for the "thumbprint" part.

These might be delicious. I'll eat a few more and let you know. . . . just to be sure.
". . . the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world are the ones who do."

The absence of flaw in beauty is itself a flaw.
-Havelock Ellis

When people say "I'm not a prude, but..." what they mean is "I am a prude, and..." -John Cleese
Kristina
Admiral Briner

Postby Jules » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:48 am

Kristina - you may have discovered why I make double (and triple) batches of the Cherry Chocolate Chip cookies. :oops: :lol:
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 am

I usually make half a dozen types or so.

This year, I bought a batch of molasses ginger spice cookie dough from the dairy that delivers our milk and that's all I'm doing.

Lazy year.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Return to Recipe Swap