[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 1/7: How are you doing?

QOTD 1/7: How are you doing?

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 1/7: How are you doing?

Postby Chef Mongo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:10 pm

So, how YOU doin'? How's the family? Anything new and exciting?
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 1/7: How are you doing?

Postby vickatina » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:41 pm

We doin' good.

Let's see:

Daughter #1 (Amanda) is learning to drive, and graduates high school this year! Ack!

Both girls are going to "tech" in school. Michelle is studying graphic design (graduates in 2 years) and Amanda is studying culinary arts. Amanda wants to own/run a bakery, and Michelle has sold some of her artwork.

We went on our first post-graduation school visit the other day to a career institute for baking. Looked good, but it was only our first school. We have a few more we want to look at.

I still work for Wegmans, but not in the "prepared food" section. I know work in produce, in what is called "the veggie market." I cut and package veggies for people on the go. Customers that want to cook, but don't have the time/don't want to take the time to prep their veggies.

That's all I can think of at the moment...Anyone else?
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby Jules » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:44 pm

I am surrounded by coworkers who are in various stages of a seriously nasty-sounding flu. Of course, they all swear they're over the "being contagious" part (uh huh :roll: riiiiiight) and so they come into work and spend the day wheezing and sniffing and hacking ... the sounds in here are pretty vile and disgusting. I (knocking on wood) remain well and keep as much distance as I can.

Dad's article in Corvette Mag came out - it looks really great. Mom is visiting the grand-daughters so I expect her to return home later this week with a new cold. Closer to home, it'd be nice to have a big ol' snowstorm before Spring begins to happen ... the trees around here are super-confused.
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby ABwannabe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:03 pm

My family and I are healthy and doing well. Many of my coworkers have been out with the flu, but I try not to interact too closely with them anyway! 8) Some of the local schools have shut down for a day or two due to flu, in the past month or so.

Our main concern, since you asked, is trying to keep up with the bills, getting debts paid off. Seems we got in deeper than we should. I know it'll all work out but it's been a bit stressful. It's amazing how much we've cut back so far. My wife has been cooking at home more, and I'm really enjoying it - she does a good job.

I wish my truck was worth enough that I could sell it, pay if off, and buy a mostly-reliable "beater" vehicle without getting another loan.

So, Mongo, haw are *you* doing?
ABwannabe
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby JeanC » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Wishing it was Friday :P Otherwise doing fine. Hubby is going back to the pool for aqua fitness this week. That not only gets him out of the house and moving, he gets some socializing he doesn't get when stuck in the house all day when he has no clients.

I've a got a couple more quiet days at work until the students arrive back on Wednesday, bringing with them all the crud they picked up while on winter break to share with everyone at the university :x

Have actually manage to keep the house clean (more or less) for the last few weeks. Working on keeping it that way. Still have a few hot spots that need to get taken care of, but they are getting fewer and fewer. Gotta remember to grab a paper box or two to keep near the front door in the living room to put stuff going to the Hope Center. I find that if I come across something I can finally let go of and send to a new home, if I put it in the box right away, it actually makes it to the Hope Center when I got enough stuff.

The university FINALLY got something right re: health plans. New prescription provider. Instead of having to shell out $105 a month for a 30 day supply of insulin, we picked up a 90 day supply for $75 :dance: A lot of his other meds are cheaper. So we actually may be able to start getting our heads above water medical debt-wise.
----
"Soon life will become more interesting" - Chinese fortune cookie

Jean
http://purple-ducky.com/
JeanC
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Marz Epan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:50 pm

I had five days between finding out my husband would deploy and his departure. (It was very messed up - originally he was, then he wasn't and it kept going back and forth and I was very encouraged when the plane left without him). He left about a week before Christmas.

Now that the holidays are over, I'm looking for things to keep myself busy.
Marz Epan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby haleoalau » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:28 pm

Fair to middlin'

Mike left yesterday for orientation and training with Lockheed Martin....he'll be back in the sandbox by the end of February, most like.

On the upside, this isn't just a contractor position - he's actually an employee of L-M, so when he decides he's done with the desert, they highly encourage their hirees to look internally for work stateside.

We are in that process of re-adapting to Daddy being gone again. The kids are doing very well. I took today as a down day for me - desk day, napped, whatever I needed. Tomorrow is "back to work". None of us have cried or had a temper tantrum...yet. But so far, so good.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:15 pm

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Myrealana » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:01 pm

How am I?

I'm tired of being a grown up.

My 92-year-old grandfather (my mom's step-father) is in congestive heart failure, and has refused food since Thursday. He has refused water and ice chips since Sunday. We keep being told it's a matter of hours - not days. The "hours not days" has gone over into 100+ hours of bedside vigil.

The call came Thursday night from his part-time home helper. I was the only family she could get ahold of. I dropped everything and drove down to be at his side and spent all night trying to get even one of his six kids there.

My mom was in Maui, on the last day of her vacation. I did talk to her, but she couldn't get there any faster than she was already scheduled. Her brother lives in Wyoming and was out hunting. He headed down as soon as he got the message when he got back into cell range. Of my grandfather's four natural children, only the paraplegic daughter living in California bothered to rush out to make it to his side. Unfortunately, given her remote location, "rushing" meant 9pm Friday night was the earliest she could possibly arrive, and given the difficulties presented by her wheelchair, she required special arrangements. They all made it there as fast as they could.

His three natural sons - one of them called Friday morning saying he'd talked to his brothers. The other two haven't called the house or said anything to their sister, me, my brother or my mom - let alone shown up to be at their father's bedside. They all three live in the Denver area, all three have cell phones and could have called. None of them is more than two hours drive away from their father's side, and they haven't made the trip.

It shouldn't have been me and my brother there alone to watch him the night we thought he would pass. At least one person of his own blood should have been there. I'm so angry at my uncles I could spit.

I don't want to be a grown up anymore.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:37 pm

I'm getting tired too. One thing gets better and something new comes up. I can't find a primary care doctor. My ear doctor is an ass. My friend who drives me around has been sick for over a week. It shouldn't be so difficult.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Norm357 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Myrealana wrote:How am I?

I'm tired of being a grown up.

My 92-year-old grandfather (my mom's step-father) is in congestive heart failure, and has refused food since Thursday. He has refused water and ice chips since Sunday. We keep being told it's a matter of hours - not days. The "hours not days" has gone over into 100+ hours of bedside vigil.

The call came Thursday night from his part-time home helper. I was the only family she could get ahold of. I dropped everything and drove down to be at his side and spent all night trying to get even one of his six kids there.

My mom was in Maui, on the last day of her vacation. I did talk to her, but she couldn't get there any faster than she was already scheduled. Her brother lives in Wyoming and was out hunting. He headed down as soon as he got the message when he got back into cell range. Of my grandfather's four natural children, only the paraplegic daughter living in California bothered to rush out to make it to his side. Unfortunately, given her remote location, "rushing" meant 9pm Friday night was the earliest she could possibly arrive, and given the difficulties presented by her wheelchair, she required special arrangements. They all made it there as fast as they could.

His three natural sons - one of them called Friday morning saying he'd talked to his brothers. The other two haven't called the house or said anything to their sister, me, my brother or my mom - let alone shown up to be at their father's bedside. They all three live in the Denver area, all three have cell phones and could have called. None of them is more than two hours drive away from their father's side, and they haven't made the trip.

It shouldn't have been me and my brother there alone to watch him the night we thought he would pass. At least one person of his own blood should have been there. I'm so angry at my uncles I could spit.

I don't want to be a grown up anymore.

I will add your Grandpa to my prayers. That makes me very sad and angry at the same time.
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby moonablaze » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:20 pm

things are pretty darn good over here. Today is boyfriend's first day at a new really awesome job. I took a couple days off to rest cause I ge CRANKY around this point of a new low-carb diet (it was a good call). So I get to spend 2 days hanging out with my kittens!
Image (pic of them as babies, they're getting BIG now)
A good cook is a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
- Elsa Schiapirelli

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson
moonablaze
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Sharona » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:29 am

Absolutely frickin' crazy busy. I have no business being on a non-task site, but "thank the forum posters for help with the eggs" was on the dolist :)

* Closing out last year's contract jobs, scanning/archiving/shredding/packing up stuff so that each job is one neat envelope/CD/package of 'stuff' in a box.
* Working on EOY tax paperwork to get Estimated tax payment done by Friday
* Helped process lots of quail for hawk food (and a few held back for people-food).
* Lost my brand new $$$ prescription glasses. I kept the "practice pairs" of reading glasses undamaged for over a year, but lose the first "real glasses" in less than a month. *whimper*
* I'm in charge of the grazing/hospitality suite for a 150-person convention this weekend. I've smoked, cooked, plotted, budgeted, sale-stalked, and purchased galore. Tomorrow and Thursday is baking 20-some batches of cakes, cookies, brownies, and dozens of eggs, prepping the coolers, and hauling all that stuff plus the previously-cooked-and-frozen meats to the hotel plus hauling con gear from storage to the hotel (my original role on ConCom was "Volunteer with pickup truck and flexible work hours"). THEN it's hitting CostCo and Restaurant Depot for gobs of veggies and fruits and stuff (we try to have lots of semi-healthy stuff at the suite, in addition to the mandatory Cheetos, potato chips, and burned coffee).
* Also starting a new contract job next week, so this week is full of paperwork flying back and forth, Work Orders and NDAs and Facility Accesses and godawful number of various Authorizations, addendums, all print/sign/initial/scan/return. There are four layers of company between me and the end client whose computers I'll be allowed to touch. Each layer has their own bunch of papers.
* This new-job start-date didn't get set until yesterday.
* But the new job is in another state and is "home every other weekend".
* So I'm cleaning stuff and packing for that and trying not to get all weepy and stuff, usually it's my husband moving out-of-state for a year-long onsite gig, not me.
* While researching non-resident income and state income tax reciprocity status
* There's a mortgage refi going on sometime soon, but thankfully they haven't asked for any new documents since last week. I'll probably end up shipping a Power of Attorney to the husband so I don't have to be present for closing.
* We were also partway through a multi-month inventory, purge-or-resell project that's now on hold, now have to take the room full of boxes to the storage unit, um, tomorrow or Thursday morning I guess. Or get it to the point husband can be told "those boxes go to storage, these boxes stay here, move into closet if they are in your way"
* Drat I need to get moving on replacing the business general-liability insurance company too
* Tomorrow is work out how much $ I need to "hold" from the business reserve to cover the 2 months of expenses before the paychecks and reimbursements start coming in. Praying this is not one of those clients for whom "Net 30" means "Net whenever-we-feel-like it".
* The kicker is the convention tear-down is Monday, and I start the new job at 8am on Tuesday. I haul convention stuff back to storage, haul food-type gear to my place to clean and pack up for next year, then throw my suitcases and computer into the truck and haul myself+two-weeks'-clothing-etc to new job site in another state and crash into the hotel hopefully before midnight.
* Sometime next week find a place to live because I'm going to go stark raving mad in long-term-hotel-room for months.

But all in all, it's a good problem to have. The timing couldn't be worse, but it's nice to have that problem in the first place. I'd rather have the client insisting I start Right Away, instead of no client at all.

Fooey, the truck needs an oil change and alignment, I was going to do it after the convention weekend, but the new job ARGH it really should be done before putting all that work mileage on it ...
Crap, the more I think the more I find that's left to do in the next six days, five of which will be spent at the convention hotel, the more I want to crawl into a whiskey bottle. AAAIIEEEE

Deep inhale, and go pet the adorable kittens ... thank you for sharing that picture!!
Sharona
Captain Briner

Postby chefshawn » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:53 am

In a word:

Struggling.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Charlene » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 am

Better than ever :)
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Sharona » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Charlene wrote:Better than ever :)

Rah!
Sharona
Captain Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:50 am

Me? I'm doing better than I have in a very, very long time. It's amazing what finding the right woman will do for a man.

IB (my main employer) kicked a big contract job out from under me in October, putting an $800/month hole in my income. I got back on Guru.com and started bidding on contract jobs. Right now, I've almost got more work than I can handle. It's not nearly the pay rate I got from IB, but it's far more creative and varied. Right now, I'm editing a "Men's dating guide" for a South African client, writing an ebook on doomsday prepping, editing a romance novel for a British authoress and rewriting product descriptions for a kid's furniture site out of British Columbia.

I've made a drum list from the answers to this thread. I'll do what I can ...
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby Madalive » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:39 pm

chefshawn wrote:In a word:

Struggling.

We have faith in you Shawn.
Ethical concerns cannot overcome the siren’s lure of a triceratops ride.
Madalive
Captain Briner

Postby Kinsley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:56 pm

I've had the flu since New Years Eve.

My mother is making her 4th annual
visit to the Hospice. She keeps saying
she wants to die, but whenever the
Docs say she's about to, she gets better.

My daughter is visiting Britain again.
She's been to 30 different countries and
won't be 30 years old 'til March.

My son has had a girlfriend since November.
I think 2 months is a record for him. I'm
keeping my fingers crossed, she might
civilize him.

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby captnhoney » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:36 am

I am very exhausted, my 15 month old son has started waking up in the middle of the night. I am so frustrated about this because I feel like I have been tired since before he was born. I am mostly a lone with him, my husband is 3 hours away because of the Navy. We have been living apart for so long and very soon at teh end of this month it will be over but he goes back to sea and he will still be gone. I am frustrated about this. I love my son and my husband but I feel very depressed and pissed that I am the only one to this. My inlaws and mt family have both have nothing to do with us and it has made it much more worse when I have no support.My only thing that seems to help me is coffee and wine or beer at night.
captnhoney
Commander Briner

Postby Tabasco Cat » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:11 pm

Doing great! Life as a Chef is exhausting, but very rewarding. My wife and I have recently adopted two Basset Hound puppies to entertain our ageing but very playful English Bulldog. We have moved out to the country where I have plenty of room to run around, chase my tail, defecate in the yard, and smoke numerous briskets and pork butts without being bothered by curious hungry neighbors. Wish you all the best. Glad to be back.

Tabby...
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Tabasco Cat
Commander Briner

Postby okbye » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:01 pm

....I wish I could poop in the yard...... :|
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby carla » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:20 pm

Oh, Okbye, genius move to revive this thread of history! :D
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby okbye » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:50 pm

Oh that was tabasco Cat. She gets to poop in the yard. :evil:

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Return to QoTD